Removable weight arca rail for range

KAGR

FNG
I am building a light weight hunting rifle with XLR chassis in 7 PRC and want to have an attachable weight to put on at range to dampen recoil and spot impacts.

I have looked around and most weights that can be added through m-lok are just a few pounds.

I would like to add 10 pounds or so onto arca rail.

I found an 8"x3" steel bar that weighs about 10 pounds and now trying to figure out how to attach a beefy arca adapter to it. Most of the arca adapters seem too small and not sure they will handle the 10 lbs of weight over time.

I found the cole-tac bag holder that I could try to bolt onto the bar but not sure if that is strong enough either.

Wanted to see if anyone has done something similar to add weight, knew of stronger arca adapters with screws holes that I could attach, or had other ideas.

Appreciate it

Rich M

WKR
I shot an antelope w 7prc this past fall. Kicks like my 3006.

They always say led sleds are no good. Does the forward weight really help?

OP
K

KAGR

FNG
I dont think recoil will be terrible. But if its easy to remove/add - may make a day shooting steel more fun.

I found several threads on SH and long range forums that add stock weight a variety of ways for bench guns but most of those are permanent additions. . . .the forward weight should help quite a bit with muzzle rise and some with recoil.

Personally, I wouldn't because it can chance harmonics a little, plus I prefer to practice the way I hunt.

OP
K

KAGR

FNG
With a free floated barrel wouldn't expect much change in barrel harmonics.

Either way, if anyone has thoughts on how to mount weight on an arca rail - would love to hear your thoughts.

I’d just search for ARCA clamps on Amazon, tons to be had in every configuration you could want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
If this is also your hunting rifle (and it sounds like it is), I would advise against doctoring it up for the range.

You want to get “field practice.” Adding 10 pounds and shooting prone doesn’t help you in the field beyond basic practice.

Now if you just want this for LR steel and don’t expect it to translate to field shooting, then disregard the above.

parshal

WKR
You can get the XLR internal and external weights and add an Area 419 long rail with weights. Add weights for the buttstock and you've got about as much weight as you can easily add. It's not gonna be 10 lbs, more, though.

You can add more weight to an Envy so maybe change the chassis for range use? The Envy is a more rigid chassis and would better handle all that weight without flex.

Ramem7mm

FNG
If this is a field gun I would advise against adding that much weight. As others have stated the gun will not act the same in field with that much weight and when practicing it would be better to practice how you will be hunting with it.