Saddle blankets

OP
P
I used a pressure nossel on the hose and 40 years of horse sweat and mud came off. My blankets are primarily the fuzzy orange pads. I hung them over my rail fence after washing them on the ground. I'm sure they will take a couple days to dry.

So far - so good.

Hardtak

FNG
It helps if you do it more frequently than every 40 years lol. A couple of times a year (likely once), I will use a coarse brush to get the majority of the hair off and then pressure wash and hang over a saddle rack or something similar so it doesn't stretch out. Usually takes a day or two to dry out and comes out looking good. I use thicker felt wool pads so they like a little more upkeep.

Same, once a year duty. Scrub all the tack with a brush and bucket of soap. Spray down the pads and hit with a curry comb. I don't have much leather to treat anymore (mostly biothane).

Its amazing how much gunk comes off pads and cinches.

Side note- anyone here made their own pad? I'd like to make a wool 1/2in-3/4 thick burro sized pad.

OP
P
I don't know why I haven't before but I think this will make a big differance. In the past I just bought new ones.

I'm trying to find some new ones for a short backed mare I ride. I bought a new felt pad that was shorter trying to avoid where the longer ones rubbed the hair of the top of her thighs.