San Carlos Reservation Coues Deer

Article 4

WKR
Rokslide frowns upon detailed unit or zone information being posted.

I’d recommend reaching out via PM or heading over to the coueswhitetail forum. I’ve heard that site is a good resource.

There are tons of coues up there. Great quality bucks as well. It’s excellent habitat for them for really good antler growth. Most spots here I’ve found coues there are in very thick terrain. The lions are relentless on them up there. Make sure you carry a lion tag along with you.
Agree with the Lion tag. Jumped one up at 200 yards packing out my deer, and didnt have a tag - wish I had

Did you get a big Tom?
Yes, it was a great hunt until the snow came in day 2, then the roads got bad I was in a little rental and decided to call it. Didn't wanna risk getting stuck up there. Lots of people around but seemed most Arizona locals were road hunting. Once you got off roads you had the place to yourself.
PXL_20240323_143101429.jpg

Yes, just hunted the Res this last December in Unit A, scouted Unit B as well during that time. Only had 3 days to hunt over the xmas break and was able to find and take this 111 5/8th buck.
Nice buck, I saw a fully racked coues buck up in Unit C, I don't know coues bucks but I'd say he was a little over 100 inches. I'd love to go back to AZ at some point for a coues. Got a few state points but don't know whether I wanna save for muley or what. Might have to go back to San Carlos for a coues buck, have a buddy from Yuma who hunts there quite regularly.

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
Yes, just hunted the Res this last December in Unit A, scouted Unit B as well during that time. Only had 3 days to hunt over the xmas break and was able to find and take this 111 5/8th buck.
Man that’s a ripper! Congrats! I am pretty stoked. What did you think of the deer population? Was it pockety? Were the deer up high? Down low? Mid range in the oaks? Did you have canyons you would find deer and others you absolutely wouldn’t when it didn’t make sense? Would you compare it to a unit down south?

Article 4

WKR
Man that’s a ripper! Congrats! I am pretty stoked. What did you think of the deer population? Was it pockety? Were the deer up high? Down low? Mid range in the oaks? Did you have canyons you would find deer and others you absolutely wouldn’t when it didn’t make sense? Would you compare it to a unit down south?
Deer population was good. We did see other hunters, but only 3 that were in the camp next to us. It is Dec and Jan, the bucks will move.

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
Yes, it was a great hunt until the snow came in day 2, then the roads got bad I was in a little rental and decided to call it. Didn't wanna risk getting stuck up there. Lots of people around but seemed most Arizona locals were road hunting. Once you got off roads you had the place to yourself.
View attachment 693744
That’s a nice bird! Congrats

Awesome buck! I drew the Unit A hunt for Jan 2025. Would you mind chatting for access spots/camping locations, overall hunt experience?