Sante Fe Nat Forest

eamyrick

WKR
Headed for some early season fly fishing in the Valles Caldera National Preserve. Will likely camp in the Sante Fe National Forest. Anyone have any insight they are willing to share regarding Turkey hunting in the area?

dtrkyman

WKR
Like now? Run off has everything blown out. Plenty of birds around the Caldera.

Birds are henned up but getting better ever day, I should have my 2 birds but that is a whole other story, one so far.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Like now? Run off has everything blown out. Plenty of birds around the Caldera.

Birds are henned up but getting better ever day, I should have my 2 birds but that is a whole other story, one so far.
We actually have pivoted and are gonna go fish the Rio Grande Gorge. I saw the Carson is close and is OTC also if the fishing sucks.

dtrkyman

WKR
The Rio is at 1150 cfs below Taos junction bridge, the gorge will be a death trap! Go shoot a turkey!

I doubt it man. We have a lot of run off this year. If I remember correctly the Rio starts to fish well in early June, maybe later this year with snow. I’d call The Reel Life fly shop in Santa Fe for up to date reports, they also do a good job giving weekly reports on IG.

One thing to add, the Caldera doesn’t open up the backcountry vehicle areas until May 15th. You can still fish the streams near the entrance until then.