Sat Phone Rental- Anyone do it before?

Joe5000

FNG
Hello- found some old posts debating whether to rent a sat phone or buy a garmin. I am looking for info from anyone that has actually rented a sat phone. Any companies to suggest? Thanks

I did it before the spot and stuff kicked off. Blue cosmos I think was who I was using. For letting wife know you are ok a Garmin is fine. For actually keeping her happy sat phone is better but expensive. Signal is lousy cuts in and out if you are in valleys or heavy canopy but when trying to work details & logistics prefer the sat phone any day. All depends on how much weight you want to deal with, how long you are out and what level of commitment you need. Had a few times I wish I had sat phone but did not. 90% time Garmin is fine just slow.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've always went with Iridium. Very easy. They mail it to you with return box and label. You send it back when your done.
Get an extra battery.

Bubba

FNG
I have rented Sat phones and its costly each year. I ended up getting the GPS with spot. It bluetooth to my phone and is much cheaper.

Jimss

WKR
Sat phones are so expensive that I ended up buying an InReach. It's possible to set them up for a month or year depending upon how much you need it. I've used my InReach on several Alaska trips and it's possible to text either pre-made messages or text new messages that you make in the field. It is a fraction of the price of sat phones and works very well.

Legend

WKR
I have rented sat phones. You need to make sure the satellite provider is appropriate for the place in the worl you will be using it. I beleive i had an iridium in alaska.

But....i recomend you just buy an inreach and save some money.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
I assume this is a type of phone, not a company? Do you mind saying what company you used?

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
I need the ability to make a phone call. Can I ask what companies you used?

Broomd

WKR
Honestly, the phone/spot debate is really predicated on hunt and application.

I've DIY hunted for mountain goats on Kodiak several times and an actual phone is invaluable in that setting. I won't go without one.

Being able to communicate instantly with a transporter to get out before storms converge, meat spoils, injury gets worse, etc. is an incredible luxury. I'll always do it for certain hunts.

I used Satellitephonestore.com

h2so4

WKR
I’ve done both. I now have a garmin inreach. I won’t do a satellite phone again, it was not worth it and very clunky. Signal
Was not reliable for voice calls.

Trial153

WKR
I haven’t rented a sat phone since I got inreach …don’t plan on again either