Sawtooth Stove....Kifaru or TiGoat

After researching countless hours of forums/reviews/youtube videos I've finally narrowed my search for a stove down to 2. With that being said, looking for real-world input on the Kifaru 18" Cylinder stove and the new TiGoat 20" Cylinder stove(durability, burn time, quality, etc). Any and all info will be appreciated since I'm looking to purchase one in the next couple weeks and get a few burns in it before the season starts. Thank You.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You aren't considering the LiteOutdoors stove?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Following this. I'm torn between the Lite Outdoors and the Smith. I really like being able to heat a cup on my bigger stove, and really dislike the twisty ties on the smith.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've used a Smith for 2 seasons and just picked up a lite outdoors. I bought the lite b/c of the larger and lower cut door opening. I've only done the burn in in my yard thus far, but after that one set up I'm thinking hard about drilling holes in it to install the wire that Kifaru uses in there's. Lite uses these crimped braided wire loops to hold the shape of the stove pipe, and larger ones to hold the shape of the stove body. They were a pain to get on over the ends, but this might get a lot easier the next time after burn in. But also it introduces a lot of risk to cutting a finger every time you slide them on or off. And, they are loose pieces to keep up with and try not to lose in the dark, which I am terrible at.

Anyway, I used to think the bendy wire from Kifaru was a little annoying, but I had nothing to compare it to. Now I see why they went with them!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used a Smith for 2 seasons and just picked up a lite outdoors. I bought the lite b/c of the larger and lower cut door opening. I've only done the burn in in my yard thus far, but after that one set up I'm thinking hard about drilling holes in it to install the wire that Kifaru uses in there's. Lite uses these crimped braided wire loops to hold the shape of the stove pipe, and larger ones to hold the shape of the stove body. They were a pain to get on over the ends, but this might get a lot easier the next time after burn in. But also it introduces a lot of risk to cutting a finger every time you slide them on or off. And, they are loose pieces to keep up with and try not to lose in the dark, which I am terrible at.

Anyway, I used to think the bendy wire from Kifaru was a little annoying, but I had nothing to compare it to. Now I see why they went with them!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Wouldn't the twist ties qualify as loose pieces to lose in the dark? I've not had any issues getting the pipe rings or body rings on. Roll the body or pipe a little tighter, slide the rings on, and let it expand back to shape. Works well. I just can't get behind an idea that essentially charges that much money to use glorified bread twist ties to assemble. I'd be more prone to lose those than anything.

Wouldn't the twist ties qualify as loose pieces to lose in the dark?{snip} glorified bread twist ties to assemble.

The Smith that I saw had the twist ties fixed in place in the middle, picture your bread twist tie going through a small hole in the stove pipe, twisted once, and left there for storage. They won't get lost, but I agree with you, my SO crimped wires are pretty simple to use on the bigger box stove.

I had the Lite Outdoors stove for a season and the Smith Cylinder stove for a season and preferred the Smith. Although the large front door of the LO is awesome for loading wood it also made a huge opening for embers to pop out at me and my expensive pad and bag. When I tried to shut the door it would starve for air and rattle and when left open I didn't rest well because of the embers. Maybe if I always had perfect wood to burn it wouldn't have been such an issue but the wood I found was far from perfect and popped quite a bit. The smaller Smith door opening never really affected how or what I put in there to burn. Couldn't say I was missing anything over the larger LO door.

I also had issues with all the loose rings. Some would stay, some would fall or move around, and I always worried about losing or leaving some during the trip. The Smith wire ties are looped in place and impossible to lose, worked great to seal up the stove, and I never found them bothersome. If you take into consideration the weight savings of the Smith and the features mentioned above it made sense to me to keep the Smith and sell the LO. (at least for my uses0

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for all the replies so far. I ruled the LO out after reading countless threads of the door design creating a rattling, just one of those little things that would drive me insane. As for the Smith, I was ready to pull the trigger until I saw the twist ties that hold it together. That made me question the durability/ease of setup and tear down but those seem to be a non-issue. The increased capacity of the 20” TiGoat stove and the ability to put a pot flat on top make it more appealing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I had the rattling problem with my lo but it was because i didnt have the dampner adjusted right.

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience but I went with the smith due to weight savings. I like the LO with the big door and rods to cook on but I only need to heat up water for my homemade meals which you can do on the smith. The rattle issue is the other reason I went with the smith.

Skeeter

FNG
I have the LO 18” and 12”, both with baffles and I think 6.5 feet pipe. Really liked the stove, but just liked my SO stoves better with the flat top. Will make someone a deal on the LO stoves if interested. The 12” hasn’t even had a burn.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have the LO 18” and 12”, both with baffles and I think 6.5 feet pipe. Really liked the stove, but just liked my SO stoves better with the flat top. Will make someone a deal on the LO stoves if interested. The 12” hasn’t even had a burn.
What you thinking of on the LO setup?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing I find wrong with the Lite Outdoors stove and pipe is the flimsy little carrying case you get:0...I had a chance to test this new setup this spring and love it...the more you put it together the easier it is to do so and I did not find any noise issues that kept me from sleeping toasty and comfortably.....each stove will have pros and cons find the one with the most advantages for you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The door on the LO only rattles if you have the damper or door vent adjusted wrong. I haven't had a ton of time using mine but I really like it so far.

Interested in the 18" if you want to shoot me a price.