Scope Advice Seekins Element 6.5 PRC

I think you're casting too wide of a net with a question like that. There's a lot of things to consider, and most of them are going to be your preference. Your budget is a good one, so you can get some good glass.

What are your nice to have and what are the required?
  1. Do you want a first focal plane or second focal plane? ( I recommend FFP)
  2. Do you want a zero stop (highly recommended)
  3. MOA versus MIL Radian?
  4. Capped or locking windage?
  5. Locking Elevation?
  6. Ilum/Non-illum?
  7. Magnification Range - You dont need high magnification to target shoot long distances. I'm typically at 12x for all of my shots out to 700 or so, might go up to 15x for 1000 and only go past that to zero my rifle.
  8. Weight Parameters - around 30 oz is a good place to start looking
  9. Reticle Type -
  10. Tube diameter size -
Here's a couple of scopes to look into.

Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 FFP or the 5-25
- MOA or MIL is your preference
- I'd recommend the PR2 reticle, if its too busy, get the PR3

Nightforce ATACR 4-16 FFP
- MOA or MIL is your preference
- MIL/MOA-XT or the MIL/MOA - C reticle

Look into Hawkins lightweight rings. American Rifle Company has the MBRACE rings that are pretty bombproof.

What mount/rings did you go with?
Cktraider. This form has a way of over complicating things with opinions based on a sample size of one in varying conditions. I am just a guy that shoots and looks for a good value. I have a Leupold VX-5 (GASP!) on my 6.5 PRC Element in seekins lows. The thing just shoots. It has been from Nevada to Alaska on commercial airplanes, on boats in Alaskan waters, floatplanes, packed around on islands and is almost always soaked while I am out hunting in SE Alaska. No doubt the Nightforce is as good as any but I did not want that much weight on my Element and I love the eye box on the VX5. When I shoulder it the sight picture is instantly there. Coincidently I was a range officer at two NRL hunter events recently and the only scopes that failed were an Arken and Nightforce. I am not suggesting they are bad products in anyway rather stuff just happens. My element in 7PRC is wearing a Zeiss V6 I picked up from a member here. It is also in lows but it barley fit and I had to shave a very small mount of material from the front of the rail.

Cktraider. This form has a way of over complicating things with opinions based on a sample size of one in varying conditions. I am just a guy that shoots and looks for a good value. I have a Leupold VX-5 (GASP!) on my 6.5 PRC Element in seekins lows. The thing just shoots. It has been from Nevada to Alaska on commercial airplanes, on boats in Alaskan waters, floatplanes, packed around on islands and is almost always soaked while I am out hunting in SE Alaska. No doubt the Nightforce is as good as any but I did not want that much weight on my Element and I love the eye box on the VX5. When I shoulder it the sight picture is instantly there. Coincidently I was a range officer at two NRL hunter events recently and the only scopes that failed were an Arken and Nightforce. I am not suggesting they are bad products in anyway rather stuff just happens. My element in 7PRC is wearing a Zeiss V6 I picked up from a member here. It is also in lows but it barley fit and I had to shave a very small mount of material from the front of the rail.
I was actually looking at the VX-5 instead of the 6, doesn't seem like the jump up is anything I would need. But definitely interested in the Maven RS1.2 it is just out of stock at the moment. And yes this forum has now made me waste lots of time on the internet hahaha.
Thanks

Out of curiosity, how did the Nightforce fail?
I was not there but the competitor said he leaned it on a tree and it fell over. He said it was .3 mills vertical and .4 horizontal off. I am in no way suggesting Nightforce is not a great optic.

I was not there but the competitor said he leaned it on a tree and it fell over. He said it was .3 mills vertical and .4 horizontal off. I am in no way suggesting Nightforce is not a great optic.
Oh I'm not invested either way. I recently bought an ATACR 5-25 for a competition rifle and immediately returned it to buy another Razor G3. Having said that, I think the more likely culprit for that issue would be the rings or maybe the barreled action contact with the stock.

I was actually looking at the VX-5 instead of the 6, doesn't seem like the jump up is anything I would need. But definitely interested in the Maven RS1.2 it is just out of stock at the moment. And yes this forum has now made me waste lots of time on the internet hahaha.
Thanks
I emailed maven as I wanted to switch to FFP Mil and they told me July so I went with the new Leupold Mark 4 HD. It is 3 events in and working great. As a thought you could pick up a VX 5 here in the classifieds and see what you think. You can get your money back if you find something you like better.

Oh I'm not invested either way. I recently bought an ATACR 5-25 for a competition rifle and immediately returned it to buy another Razor G3. Having said that, I think the more likely culprit for that issue would be the rings or maybe the barreled action contact with the stock.
Unknown but the guy was pretty well dialed in and one of the more competitive shooters so my assumption was he knew what he is doing. You know what they say about assumptions though!

Unknown but the guy was pretty well dialed in and one of the more competitive shooters so my assumption was he knew what he is doing. You know what they say about assumptions though!
Yeah the stuff competitors are doing for zero retention is still evolving it seems. The info just came out this year that a fair bit of chassis users in the top 200 ranked PRS shooters are bedding their chassis now (especially MPA users). And for some of them it seems they're doing it for zero retention in the case of the barrel getting hit. Guys have been experimenting by smacking their barrels with rubber mallets and if the chassis isn't bedded it can cause POI shifts. Morgan Lamprecht talks a lot about it.

There's at least one section of the report below regarding people bedding their chassis. It has links to videos of people explaining why they bed their chassis including the owner/founder of MPA chassis explicitly saying that unbedded chassis are more suspectible to POI shift from falls and impacts.

I guess I'd just say I don't think anyone is as top of this stuff as they think they are.

Back