Scouting Daniel Boone NF

I lost my Central KY hunting property last weekend. Sad, but gotta move on. I am looking to go out to DBNF in October MZ loader season. Anyone who has experience hunting Daniel Boone or any other big woods eastern mountain areas, how do you start scouting on ONX or other e-scouting? Thanks!

dtrkyman

WKR
Look for diversity! Find multiple types of cover in one area, that will create edge and concentrate activity. Old burns, logged areas etc. Grown over fields.

I like to start around water and expand from there.

Pinch points and saddles are easy to find on maps.

White oak acorns are pure gold, find trees dropping acorns and you will find deer! Other oaks are good but whites are preferred!

wesfromky

WKR
DBNF is big, so first step is just picking a general area. Also, fairly low deer density as well. I would probably try to find some isolated parcels that are mixed in with some private land - and that is one thing the OnX, etc are good at.

grfox92

WKR
If I remember correctly from Archery Talk years ago. There is alot of grow operations and run ins with undesirable dangerous people when way back in DBNF. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but want to make sure you know if that's still a thing.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I made a swing thru the DBNF, southern end, this past spring turkey season. While I didnt run into any shady activity, I definitly felt like you could have run into that sort of thing around any corner. It was also probably the most trashed and littered up piece of NF that I have ever seen. I left the area pretty bummed to be honest...

wesfromky

WKR
If I remember correctly from Archery Talk years ago. There is alot of grow operations and run ins with undesirable dangerous people when way back in DBNF. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but want to make sure you know if that's still a thing.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Maybe in the 80's and 90's? They used to do big sweeps with helicopters and all that, but I haven't seen anything like that in forever. I think most growing is indoors these days anyway.

The area is very, very economically depressed though, so crime is a concern for sure. Seems like it is mostly limited to parking lot break ins / meth making. I don't worry to much once I am a couple hundred yards into the woods, but I am always alert with my Sig close when in the parking areas.

BT07

FNG
Excited to take my son turkey hunting in the DBNF this year. Its going to be a great experience!

Yoder

WKR
Drive any road that borders it or goes through it at times when deer move. Mark the spots where they are crossing the road or where you see deer, then go in and scout it. I've found a lot of good hunting spots doing this. If spotting is legal, even better.

I live right near Daniel Boone and have hunted around it and in it most of my life, as well as horse back riding all over it. I’ve personally never killed a monster on DB but I know others who have, if you are just needing general areas to look at I would be glad to help. Can’t promise a booner, but can most likely point you toward some deer in general! It’s a wilderness and if you don’t mind putting in the miles, you may have a chance at a giant, they are there but it’s wild country. Never had a problem with thieves in the areas I go to! God Bless and good luck!