SEAK Pack Choice

Due in large part to lurking this forum and seeing Ed Toribio/Primo Expeditions recommended numerous times over the years, I have a trip booked with Ed for for goat in September of next year. I went bear hunting with him this spring which was an amazing trip and also a good time to pick him and his guides brains about gear but I'm getting stuck on what pack to bring. I currently have an SG Sky 5900 so that is certainly an option but I'm also entertaining one of the following packs as well -

1) SG 6900 or 7900 bag to go on existing frame
2) SG Terminus 7000 or 8700
3) Barneys freighter frame w/ UL bag

I can see the benefits of all of them, and his guys sure do like the Barney's a lot although I don't see myself using one once I got home so I would probably sell it. I would just bring my 5900 and call it a day but I am a little concerned that some of the bulkier items like rubber rain gear (if I ever take it off) would eat up a lot of pack space. Currently I'd say one of the Terminus packs is in the lead due to being slightly more compact while loaded down since it has the internal meat cache, so slightly less prone to catching on brush etc. while climbing around?

So for those of you that have hunted that country, and more specifically with Ed and his guys as I know there are a handful on here, would you mind lending any insight on what my best option might be here? Really appreciate any suggestions, I'm also all ears on any must have gear items for hunting that country that maybe haven't been thought of.

I’ve hunted goats with the 5900 and 6900. I found the 5900 to be small but doable if you strapped your tent to bottom of your pack and filled every inch plus the lid. The 6900 was better, but I still wanted more room.

If you’d just sell the barneys, the easy button answer is SG.

Where do you live and what do you hunt?

I’ve heard great things about the terminus and if I lived in the L48 and primarily hunted muleys that would be my choice. If I lived in the L48 and liked to backpack elk hunt I’d pick up the 7900.

Another consideration is to keep your 5900 and pick up an access bag. Going guided, you likely won’t be bringing a spotter/tripod, and may not even need to pack a tent which would greatly reduce your pack size. My wife does this exact thing and likes it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
that SG 8700 is probably the play but since they sold to vista and vista sold to some czech company, I'd consider looking elsewhere.

OP
E
I’ve hunted goats with the 5900 and 6900. I found the 5900 to be small but doable if you strapped your tent to bottom of your pack and filled every inch plus the lid. The 6900 was better, but I still wanted more room.

If you’d just sell the barneys, the easy button answer is SG.

Where do you live and what do you hunt?

I’ve heard great things about the terminus and if I lived in the L48 and primarily hunted muleys that would be my choice. If I lived in the L48 and liked to backpack elk hunt I’d pick up the 7900.

Another consideration is to keep your 5900 and pick up an access bag. Going guided, you likely won’t be bringing a spotter/tripod, and may not even need to pack a tent which would greatly reduce your pack size. My wife does this exact thing and likes it.
Appreciate the insight! I'm in Montana typically chasing deer and/or elk, I don't travel a lot to hunt although I'm looking to do it more so kind of keeping that in mind with this purchase as well. I have my doubts I'll be in charge of carrying my own tent but I'll verify that long before I leave.

I've hauled two billy goats in an SG6900. It worked well and was as comfortable as I think it could be with that much weight. I was able to fit my entire camp in, too, but my setup is pretty minimal and I had almost no extra space. No experience with other packs, though I'm curious about the Terminus and the Barney's.

Good luck on your hunt!

Wapiti1

WKR
You want 7000 cu in minimum, IMO. The barneys is the best of the weight haulers, but it is a cumbersome pack in cliff country. I've seen a couple of guys about lose it when the bottom or top corner of the frame snagged a rock. A narrower profile pack is what I would want.

If I already had a SG frame, I'd be looking hard at the Sky Guide 7900 bag for it. "I have too much room" said no one ever on a sheep or goat hunt. Especially a successful sheep or goat hunter. Keep in mind you don't want to sandwich the quarters/hide/etc between the frame and bag. That makes you really off balance. You want room to put the quarters in the bag with all of your other gear, and keep the center of gravity tight to you.

Jeremy

USMC-40

WKR
Just returned from hunting with Ed and I used an SG 7000 CI pack. Ed is a great guy and all of his guides were phenomenal. The pack worked great, and definitely bring rubber rain gear, as it’s the wettest place I’ve ever seen. I used crampons due to how wet/slick it is - caulk boots are Ed’s recommendations and I would listen.

Good choice on outfitter - good luck and have fun!

OP
E
Just returned from hunting with Ed and I used an SG 7000 CI pack. Ed is a great guy and all of his guides were phenomenal. The pack worked great, and definitely bring rubber rain gear, as it’s the wettest place I’ve ever seen. I used crampons due to how wet/slick it is - caulk boots are Ed’s recommendations and I would listen.

Awesome! I bet I have a picture of it since I’ve been bugging him for animal pictures since August haha. I got the message loud and clear on the calks when I was up there this spring for sure. Who was your guide on your hunt? Cole was my bear guide and he was great.

Appreciate the insight! I'm in Montana typically chasing deer and/or elk, I don't travel a lot to hunt although I'm looking to do it more so kind of keeping that in mind with this purchase as well. I have my doubts I'll be in charge of carrying my own tent but I'll verify that long before I leave.
You're on the right track. You'll be happy anyway you slice it.

My other piece of advice is take photos and videos of every little thing until you're sick of it...and then take some more. Goat hunting takes you to places that most people will only ever read about in a National Geographic.

USMC-40

WKR
Awesome! I bet I have a picture of it since I’ve been bugging him for animal pictures since August haha. I got the message loud and clear on the calks when I was up there this spring for sure. Who was your guide on your hunt? Cole was my bear guide and he was great.

Cole was my guide as well - guy is a stud. Knows his stuff

PNWGATOR

WKR

Trip report please!

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I used a SG Terminus 7000 on my SEAK goat hunt last year. I loved everything about the pack, but I wished for a little more space after getting the goat. I found the hide to be really bulky. While I think the the SG Terminus was a great tool for the job, you may get more long term mileage out of the barney's if you pack elk with a frame. They're really good at packing elk quarters supposedly. You could just sell the pack after the trip if you don't see yourself needing it that much after as well vs trying to compromise on something for the trip for the sake of possible long term usage.

Yes, be sure to update.

For packs, wear what is comfortable for you and pack smart. Any of the packs you listed will be fine, both size- and integrity-wise, especially if you'll have assistance on the packout. I use a 6000 ci pack (including lid). If you end up using bulky rubber rain gear, there is always the option to cinch it under the outside straps or beneath the lid.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on wearing rubber rain gear, plan on being soaked in sweat. I grew up hunting SW Washington rain forest pre-breathable raingear. We used heavy and light helly hansen rubber. I stopped using it and just hunted in wool. I'd be soaked but warm. Fortunately, I could dry out in the evening. I took Kuiu Kutana on my goat hunt but got lucky with cooperative weather.

With regard to caulks, I think you might want to consider having a boot crampon compatible (I used Zamberlan 2092 but get ones that fit) and use something like a Petzel Lepeord crampon. They're lightweight and would be great in the non rocky areas. That alpine stuff was really slippery especially when wet. I wouldn't want to wear caulks on rocks if that's where you spend the most time. That's just a guess. No experience but I am familiar with the logging set's use of them. You could take the crampons on/off as needed. I also recommend treking poles, and I had a small Petzel ride axe if needed. The trekking poles helped a lot, and I was pretty much 4x4.

Of course consider what Ed and his guides recommend and talk it through.

Last edited: