Sewing machine advise

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all. I am not new, just finally started posting. I am ready to get a machine and make the mods I want. But, what kind of a machine do I need? Can I do the work on a 1950s Singer, or do I need some kind of heavy duty machine to deal with the 1000d?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all. I am not new, just finally started posting. I am ready to get a machine and make the mods I want. But, what kind of a machine do I need? Can I do the work on a 1950s Singer, or do I need some kind of heavy duty machine to deal with the 1000d?
Your Singer will sew two or three layers of cordura just fine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Cool. It is my grandmother's old machine. I will have to get it from my brother. I will start with that and see how it goes, I just did not want to damage it.

Mosby

WKR
I would take it into a dealer and get it cleaned and oiled before using. Also get some fresh needles for it.
Machine will work less and last longer.

Agreed, Def have it serviced. Probably needs timing set, etc

Otherwise you'll be fighting yourself the whole time...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tac83

FNG
If its an older industrial machine (table style) with a clutch it can be difficult to control. You can replace the motor with a servo motor so you can feather it with the pedal like a home machine. If its a home machine, you can disregard this.