SG R3 initial setup

Need a little help, SG is closed for the weekend so here we are. 20240315_170120.jpg
I'm guessing these two straps attached to the bag and threaded through buckles are used for the lid?
20240315_170141.jpg
WTF is this little black female buckle on the lid? There's nowhere to attach it to? I'm thinking it's part of the anti flop lid idea but???

@Formidilosus probably up to speed on this gear.

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
On the SG website the pictures of the backs of both the R3 5900 and the R3 7000 show that
female buckle attached to a strap feeding down in-between the frame and the bag.

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
Is that the R3 3300?

If you watch this video at around the halfway mark Kurt takes the bag off of the frame and you'll notice that
the strap is attached to the back of the bag.

Last edited:

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
On my Sky 5900 it is used to put the pack into bivy mode. The male connector is on the pack and not the frame. There is a male connector on the top of the back side of the pack that connects to roll up the top portion of the bag that isn’t used in bivy mode.

Edit: I just realized it is on the lid but it still looks like it would connect to the male connector on the pack used to put it into bivy mode.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Is there not a corresponding male clip on the back side of the main bag facing the frame? There is on the video linked.Screenshot_20240316_060044_Chrome.jpg

prm

WKR
Like to get a review once you have it set up. I have really considered an R3 3300.

Blackbird

FNG
Look and see if the other end is tucked into where your hose would come out for a water bladder. On the bag not the frame.

OP
W
Look and see if the other end is tucked into where your hose would come out for a water bladder. On the bag not the frame.
That's a negative. I'm thinking the 3300 simply doesn't have it mostly due to the bag design. The lid straps are short and don't need to be longer to accommodate an extended snow collar like the other bags have.

Blackbird

FNG
That would make sense on the 5900 it’s used to sinch down the open top when running it without the lid.

OP
W
Little bit of info: the side stretch pockets kick ass but they have a small hole at the bottom to drain water, dirt, pine needles ect. It's a well thought out feature but you could lose small items like tent stakes or poles if you threw em in there loose. Just a heads up for anybody considering this pack.