Shelter System, floorless Tarp/tipi: ground cloth or ultralight bivy preference?

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Why not ditch the ground sheet all together? Just asking since I have yet to use a groundsheet under my tarp.

I like having a clean place to layout gear, and the protection for my x-lite pad. But it’s like a damn slip and slide, silicone on my pad didn’t help much either, slipped enough to rub the silicone straight off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
I just got a borah gear snowyside event bivy. I havent tried it yet but its big, supposedly breathable, tough, wont let my pad or bag slide off etc, can work on its own, and weighs about as much as my tyvek ground sheet. Thats where l landed.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I like having a clean place to layout gear, and the protection for my x-lite pad. But it’s like a damn slip and slide, silicone on my pad didn’t help much either, slipped enough to rub the silicone straight off.

Lots of people say that. What are you using?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Lots of people say that. What are you using?

For the silicone? Construction stuff. Which is stupid because I didn’t thin it at all before applying. I’ll bet sil net would stick pretty damn well, and won’t go on as thick.

So I need to wash my Tyvek, get better silicone, try the survival blanket approach out. I’m also considering that 40D ground cloth that seek outside makes, but it’s certainly a decent amount of ounces.

After looking at all of the ultralight bivy options for use inside of a shelter, the MLD and Enlightened Equipment ones look nice.

For the silicone? Construction stuff. Which is stupid because I didn’t thin it at all before applying. I’ll bet sil net would stick pretty damn well, and won’t go on as thick.

So I need to wash my Tyvek, get better silicone, try the survival blanket approach out. I’m also considering that 40D ground cloth that seek outside makes, but it’s certainly a decent amount of ounces.

After looking at all of the ultralight bivy options for use inside of a shelter, the MLD and Enlightened Equipment ones look nice.

I was wondering about ground sheet. Seems that the tyvek users often have problems sliding. A $30 shitty footprint from an old tent that was ripped to pieces works great. I know tyvek is cheaper, but then you are Messing around with this. If my footprint was to catch fire or something, I would probably go for something like the seek outside. Or another footprint :-D

Beendare

WKR
My silicone always seems to peel off, I’ll have to try another product. I totally agree on multiple shelters, there’s no such thing as one that’s totally optimized for all situations.

On your bivy comment and moisture - did you have problems with the waterproof/breathable kind, or the really ultralight kind?

Hit the Tyvek with some 220 sandpaper...and thin the silicone should work. I know the thin silicone works on silnylon...maybe it just doesn't stick to tyvek?
>>>------------->

My last bivy trip was in the 90's. One was a cheapie...the other was an OR GT breathable fairly expensive model. Hated them. I lose a lot of moisture when I sleep.There was always moisture on the inside of the bivy against my bag. On cold nights, it was worse no doubt more condensation. If you can't air it out daily....its a problem. Heck my tent is about the same weight as my bivy and a tarp....a no brainer for me.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I swore off Tyvek for the same reason; I absolutely hated sliding around on it. I went with an UL Borah Gear bivy and its MUCH better. It's a tad lighter, it protects my quilt better, additional moisture protection, and the face is vented. I do still slip a little but not nearly as bad. I'm gonna try some silicone or something to mitigate it.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
For UL bivy's I use either a Ti goat Kestrel or a Borah Gear, both at 6 oz. I've never gone the Tyvek route because I like keeping my quilt and pad contained. It's worked well for me so far.

Yeah the slipping and sliding is a PITA, so I went to a Borah gear UL bivy. I had him add stake loops at all 4 corners and it has made a difference for me. Besides it also adds an extra layer of protection for my bag. Have you ever had one of those days where you leave to hunt and it gets snotty out, then you get back to your shelter and your bag is compromised because of condensation raining down from high winds? I have, even in double walled tents...I used to slip my bag into a dry sack, but now I just roll the mesh part closed into the bivy and go hunt.
I still carry a tyvek sheet for various uses (laying down glassing under a tarp when it is wet, to keep meat clean while breaking down an animal).

If I stake the bivy down tight over the tyvek I won't slide much plus I have an extra layer of protection for those times when I set up the Cimarron on already soaked ground, then I can dry out the ground with the stove if needed and lose the tyvek under the bivy.

Beendare

WKR
I stopped using the Tyvek under my pd or for a floor in floorless shelter. Moisture can move through Tyvek.

I sometimes use a chunk of Silnylon [with silicone strips] under my matt in floorless. It would benefit from Steve O's grommet idea...or sewn in loops....i'm going to have to do that- good idea!

snowplow

WKR
Any of you guys sew a bathtub groundsheet with raised edges? I dont say that for keeping the water out (although it cant hurt) but because it seems like it would hold your pad from sliding out. I was thinking of trying it. Tyvek runs through a sewing maching great.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped using the Tyvek under my pd or for a floor in floorless shelter. Moisture can move through Tyvek.

I sometimes use a chunk of Silnylon [with silicone strips] under my matt in floorless. It would benefit from Steve O's grommet idea...or sewn in loops....i'm going to have to do that- good idea!

Good to note that this is correct about tyvek and moisture. the intended use is on vertical walls as a moisture barrier, for which it works very well. Lay it flat in a horizontal fashion on wet ground and it will eventually allow moisture to pass through it.

FlyGuy

WKR
The washing machine does wonders for the tyvek. I found that some areas just would not soften though, possibly b/c we have a top-load machine and parts of the tyvek are just not staying down in the action. Anyway, I did find that for those areas of the tyvek that still looked new, just twist them up with your hands like wringing out a towel. Do it as hard as your grip allows. I would roll up about an 18" roll and work down it twisting very tightly every couple of inches, then reverse the roll and repeat it in the opposite direction. That worked to soften up the rest of it. Soooooo much quieter than. The popping that fresh tyvek makes is so loud it hurts my ears! It also starts to feel soft and actually a little "grippy".

Do those to things to your tyvek sheet and im betting that your troubles will be over.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
Alright, lve decided to go for the Bearpaw La Garita. I really like the height and zip front doors.

Im used to my tipi which is not only bigger but l think is a shape that 'feels' bigger.

What size would you guys get for a run and gun bivy set? I dont think l want the La Garita 1. But the La Garita 2 and 3 seem great. I think theres 3 oz difference.

duchntr

WKR
Id get the 3 for one guy as 2 can squeeze in there but not comfortably. Also they don't come standard with a zipper, instead a strip of velcro, they might customize it for you though and put a zipper on it.

snowplow

WKR
Yep talked to the guy he said no prob. They offer an extended vestible front with zipper like a mountainsmith too.