Should we have kept hunting this spot?

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
This week we located four bulls spread across a dark north facing slope. Nice green meadow and water at the bottom. I got on the same level as one of them which was really fired up and I actually got a shot off, but it was deflected by brush. The bull jumped at the sound but didn’t spook and bolt - he just slowly walked off after a few minutes.

The other bulls quieted down and we didn’t get into their areas after our encounter with the first one. We decided to back out and try again the next day.

Later that day a storm blew in with hail and thunder. The next morning was really windy but dry. At the trailhead we saw another parked vehicle that we spotted driving in the day before. It was not clear if they were hunters or backpackers.

That morning we heard and saw nothing. Not even the deer that were all over the meadow the day before. We figured either the weather shuffled the deck or the new people blew them out.

After looking at another area that afternoon and talking with a buddy in the same unit who wasn’t having much luck, we hit the same spot for a third day, which was our last. Only one distant bugle was heard. The deer were back, though.

Should we have stuck with this area? What would you think are some reasons why the hillside would go dark after all the bugling we heard?

Sounds like you may have invaded their bedding/safe area; something I only do as a last resort that calls for drastic measures. Just my two cents.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you may have invaded their bedding/safe area; something I only do as a last resort that calls for drastic measures. Just my two cents.

Maybe for the one I shot at, but we didn’t get anywhere near the other three

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
This week we located four bulls spread across a dark north facing slope. Nice green meadow and water at the bottom. I got on the same level as one of them which was really fired up and I actually got a shot off, but it was deflected by brush. The bull jumped at the sound but didn’t spook and bolt - he just slowly walked off after a few minutes.

The other bulls quieted down and we didn’t get into their areas after our encounter with the first one. We decided to back out and try again the next day.

Later that day a storm blew in with hail and thunder. The next morning was really windy but dry. At the trailhead we saw another parked vehicle that we spotted driving in the day before. It was not clear if they were hunters or backpackers.

That morning we heard and saw nothing. Not even the deer that were all over the meadow the day before. We figured either the weather shuffled the deck or the new people blew them out.

After looking at another area that afternoon and talking with a buddy in the same unit who wasn’t having much luck, we hit the same spot for a third day, which was our last. Only one distant bugle was heard. The deer were back, though.

Should we have stuck with this area? What would you think are some reasons why the hillside would go dark after all the bugling we heard?
I’d say you did what you thought was right and stick to that.. was it the right thing to do?. no one knows the true answer to that.. from my experiences, when storms hit, it shuffles EVERYTHING!! I would have covered other ground as well.

MJB

WKR
Don't leave elk to go find elk...... sounds like they moved a few ridges over I would try to go high and glass until you found them again.
I tell people all the time know their escape routes go high to find where they are going.

When elk are walking you need to be running......when they are running you need to be driving!