Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody - integrated Face mask vs stand alone Gaiter experience?

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
I need a new sun hoody and am considering the Sitka CLW Hoody in olive or gray. It interests me because of the integrated face mask / gaiter for sun protection. (no amount of sun block and hats can tame the CA summer sun. I currently wear a Huk gaiter, but that can be lost and requires 2 hands to put on, a pain with trekking poles)

To people who have used the CLW hoody and a stand alone gaiter, do you see any pros/cons in actual use compared to having a stand alone face mask/gaiter? Can it be deployed 1 handed? stowed 1 handed? pulled down below mouth (to take a drink for example))

Anything quirky about using the integrated gaiter? Blocks sun well? Hood + Hat isnt too hot? Does the hoody fit the same as the long sleeve shirt from this same line?

Any actual-use feedback and comparison is appreciated as no reviews talk about the integrated gaiter much.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of these hoodies and really like them. Honestly though I typically don't use the integrated face mask as I like having one separate for more flexibility. When you pull the hoody over your head you can simply tuck the face mask behind you-if that makes sense. I don't believe the hoody or integrated face mask offer much in the way of sun protection but it is my go to for turkey & early deer hunts .

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use the face masks much either; I think for bowhunting when making a stalk it would work very well.

I use my hood (on a light colored grey one) as a sun layer over a ball cap; I have a couple of lighter hoodies (OR Echo's) that work better in hot weather, but the Core Light works pretty decently in that regard.

TheTone

WKR
I like the one I have; I’ve really only used the face mask turkey hunting. It can get a little warm/clammy if I wear it for an extended period of time while I’m using a mouth call but that’s a pretty narrow use for me.

Id happily use it for more things if the one I had wasn’t camo

Poser

WKR
I own sun hoodies from OR, Sitka, Kuiu, and Black Diamond + a few others and wear them extensively for everything from spring skiing to summer backpacking in the alpine to September hunting. The best one on the market is the BD AlpenGlow Pro (must be the pro version). The mask is of no relevance and only restricts airflow around your neck.

The biggest advantage of the BD is the multi panel hood which “snags” on your hat bill and stays put. This generates the most amount of shade for your face of any other sun hoody I’ve used. Add to that quarter zip and mesh arm pits and it’s very cool. The OR fabric is a tiny bit more breathable, but not quite as SPF protective. BD sun hoody + large sun glasses + hat + some Ski Balm (stays in place) on your face is the absolute best combination of staying cool and protected from the sun that I’ve found.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dare I recommend something from Amazon? If you’re primarily using this for the summer then I don’t see a reason to look for hunting features. The clh was a little warm for mid summer to me. I don’t see it listed now but mine also has the polygene odor treatment. It’s become my favorite shirt for high altitude sun and temperatures near 100. Sizing for this is a normal cut (large is perfect, slightly loose. A large Sitka is skin tight and a bit short on me). BALEAF Men's Sun Protection Hoodie Shirt UPF 50+ Long Sleeve UV SPF T-Shirts Rash Guard Fishing Swimming Lightweight https://a.co/d/iZWXCkb

WoodBow

WKR
The integrated face mask annoys me more than anything. Every time i put the shirt on it gets all tangled on my head. Same when I actually want to put the mask on.

I think a stand alone gaiter is a better option but i also have issues getting them to stay up. May there is a option with a grippy band at the top? I have a FL aerowool one and it is constantly falling down if it isnt tucked under a hat.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like its all personal preference but for me this is perhaps my favorite clothing item. I love how light and breathable the face mask is plus you don't have a neck gaitor on making your neck more hot if your hiking around before you want to conceal your face.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
it’s a must bow hunting and living in the south. Prolly my favorite piece from Sitka. Face mask is awesome for spot and stalk. You can easily use it one handed.

I've owned two of them and sold them both. The facemask was okay, but annoying when I didn't need it. The fit on Sitka gear is just off for me. Short in the sleeve length and short in the body. If I go up a size then it feels like wearing a trashbag and is really loose in the body. I really like the Stone Glacier avro hoodies, and go with a separate neck gaiter.

Tick

WKR
I just picked one up to try. In a situation wearing a mask all day it makes sense. When not using the mask I dislike the extra material around my neck in hot temps and it is too tight under my jaw with the hood on. Tried it behind my neck like mentioned above and probably going to just cut it off.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I like it a lot, mostly because I don't have to bring a facemask and don't have to worry about finding it or putting it away in a pocket. I don't find it to be annoying when behind my head, and it seems to stay up better than a regular gaiter.

sr80

WKR
I dont like the face mask at all either, i find it annoying putting the hoody on. I just cut them out of all the core light hoodies. And it ads extra material around your neck which makes me too hot. I dont bow hunt either though, im sure it would be useful for that.

I need a new sun hoody and am considering the Sitka CLW Hoody in olive or gray. It interests me because of the integrated face mask / gaiter for sun protection. (no amount of sun block and hats can tame the CA summer sun. I currently wear a Huk gaiter, but that can be lost and requires 2 hands to put on, a pain with trekking poles)

To people who have used the CLW hoody and a stand alone gaiter, do you see any pros/cons in actual use compared to having a stand alone face mask/gaiter? Can it be deployed 1 handed? stowed 1 handed? pulled down below mouth (to take a drink for example))

Anything quirky about using the integrated gaiter? Blocks sun well? Hood + Hat isnt too hot? Does the hoody fit the same as the long sleeve shirt from this same line?

Any actual-use feedback and comparison is appreciated as no reviews talk about the integrated gaiter much.

Just used mine this past weekend in 85 heat here in Colorado. I used the integrated neck gaiter both on and off and I liked it. Breathed better than normal neck gaiter. Allowed me to have the zip pulled down for some good breathability too.

Sure it’s a little awkward putting over head sometimes, but probably equates to putting two legs into one pant hole (lololo) when dressing early morn in pitch black before heading out of the tent.

Just buy both. Because you can’t have integrated gaiter in everything. So just rock the Sitka when ya feel it and throw the neck gaiter on other times. I bet Sitka will have a decent July 4th sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
It's one of my favorite Sitka pieces. Amazing how warm it can be as well as how well it wears in warm weather. I have one in black and use the face mask all the time
in the blind.