Sitka has a new hooded "vest"

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
vest in quotes as it's more of a pullover short sleeve "shirt"

looks pretty nice as a mid layer for on the move or an insulating layer for warmer weather; Alpha insulation, nice looking hood with a deep zip front

I have a similar piece from Enlightened Equipment that I use quite often (Apex insulation)

Kelvin Active Hoody

mcseal2

WKR
Looks nice. Wish they had it in blaze orange for states that require a visible orange head covering. This would be nice for warmer temps. I have an old cotton hooded sweatshirt I bought big and cut the sleeves off of I sometimes use in KS. It's nice to be able to flip that up over my hooded puffy jacket to be both legal and warm at the same time.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
blaze would be handy for states that require vest (400 square inches) coverage too :)

This has been out there a while. I fondled one earlier this year at a show. Unlined alpha insulation was a bit unsettling for me but I had never seen it before and it is quite popular for the ultralight crowd. There was also some mention that this was meant to pair with the apex hoodie.

Perhaps I am a bit too traditional. Personally I am still trying to find a place in my heart for a non down or puffy vest. I still having warmed up to the idea of a short sleeve jacket but I see them in athletic sparred lines more often. However, The idea of having a hood on a layering piece is appealing. Kudos to Sitka for innovation, I am just no there yet.

Trial153

WKR
I was playing with a bit, I am not sure how this would fit in for me ...well for pretty much anything.
I would have much rather seen a hood on the Kevlin active jacket.

Jimss

WKR
Looked pretty good until I saw the price. Ouch! It may be possible to wear a base layer or insulated shirt plus a balaclava for a fraction of the price?

I can see where it would be good for layering. If it's cold enough for a hood I would think it would be cold enough for long sleeves? It would be less bulk and weight than a vest....which I can see would be an advantage.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
definitely a niche piece

I use my EE hooded vest more than I originally thought though- warmer weather it replaces an insulated jacket, in cooler weather on the move it's often just the right insulation for a mid-layer

the price? yeah it's pretty steep :)

sr80

WKR
Ive had one for a month or two and wear it as much as i can to test it before the season gets going here for me. I actaully really like it, i doubted it at first. And do agree that it would be better if it had full length sleeves. Its very warm for how light it is, and dries amazingly fast. If it had full length sleeves it would replace my heavy weight hoody.

Jimss

WKR
I can see some room for improvement. Long sleeves would be good. It also doesn't look like it has any outer pockets? That would be a deal breaker for me if used as an outer. Kuiu does a great job of offering pockets in great locations on their tops....which is always a bonus.

One of my go-to layers that is reasonably priced is Cabelas micro-fleece. They are available in lighter and heavier weight materials. I like the heavier one for super cold conditions. It is super quiet in brush and dries fast when wet.

sr80

WKR
I can see some room for improvement. Long sleeves would be good. It also doesn't look like it has any outer pockets? That would be a deal breaker for me if used as an outer. Kuiu does a great job of offering pockets in great locations on their tops....which is always a bonus.

One of my go-to layers that is reasonably priced is Cabelas micro-fleece. They are available in lighter and heavier weight materials. I like the heavier one for super cold conditions. It is super quiet in brush and dries fast when wet.

It has one zippered chest pocket