slope preference for CA blacktails

Doing some e-scouting for coastal bucks at the moment but just in general has anyone noticed in their encounters that deer tend to favor a certain slope here in northern CA?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most of the coastal black tails I’ve hunted in Northern California during A zone season will be moving to shade. It can be well over 100 degrees during season. They tend to stick to typical deer “crossings” meaning hillsides that are generally easier to navigate. These end up looking like “hips” of the mountains or mini “drainages.”

They typically move between two bedding areas that I’ve found to average less than 600 yards apart. Go slow and be very patient.

Every morning/evening deer would move across these hips forming a small drainage that fed into a dried up pond. Bucks will usually be away from does/fawns but in the same travel areas.

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the coastal black tails I’ve hunted in Northern California during A zone season will be moving to shade. It can be well over 100 degrees during season. They tend to stick to typical deer “crossings” meaning hillsides that are generally easier to navigate. These end up looking like “hips” of the mountains or mini “drainages.”

They typically move between two bedding areas that I’ve found to average less than 600 yards apart. Go slow and be very patient.

Every morning/evening deer would move across these hips forming a small drainage that fed into a dried up pond. Bucks will usually be away from does/fawns but in the same travel areas.

View attachment 581020

View attachment 581019

View attachment 581021
Beautiful

Warmsy

WKR
I usually see them on fairly flat areas. If you're close to the coast, look for open areas. While they're in velvet and bachelor g groups I often see them under a tree in the open.