Smoke ribs in the backcountry?

Has any tried to smoke a rack of ribs in the backcountry or even camping? No smoker just a campfire. If so, how did it go and what info would you share on the process? I think it would be amazing to smoke elk ribs while out. Thanks!

Geewhiz

WKR
Doesnt seam like it would be "smoking' as much as just roasting. Tried it once camping rotisserie style and didnt really turn out to good. Hard to control temps over an open fire. Outside is burnt crispy before anything actually cooks.

OP
C
I imagined a separate ring for the fire and ribs. Needs cover of some sort.

Geewhiz

WKR
Generally speaking, wild game is so lean and there is not much meat on the ribs that I have a hard time imagining it would be that good. Ive heard of sheep hunters roasting a fresh rack over a fire and they say its good but so is anything after youve been in the mountains for 9 days haha

I suppose you could cover it in foil, throw a stick of butter and some seasonings in with it, cover it in coals and cook it hobo style?

I think you should try it and let us know.

OP
C
Yeah I know it’s not ideal. I got the idea while moose hunting in AK. I’ll mess around with it this year.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
393978-R1-15 (2).jpeg

Only once many moons ago with Stone sheep ribs after spending the night on the mountain. #1 meal of all time, so good I was literally licking my fingers to get every last taste. Some of it may have to do with the effort involved in getting them…

We just propped that forked stick over the small alder fire. Great memory.

SWOHTR

WKR
Pretty sure Traeger makes a packable pellet grill you could hook up to your GoalZero power bank.

j/k

Kidding aside, not sure how you'd do it. You'd need a fire and an indirect method of cooking. Best I can come up with now would be heated/warmed rocks, of which you wouldn't know the temperature of.

OP
C
My best thought would be foil to build a cover and then use something similar to a Dutch oven technique. Use a few hot coals/wood and fresh wood for smoke. That may keep the temps low enough.
Ahhh hell, I’m just packing in the Traeger and Goal Zero….

I think one of the people on alone built something out if logs and smoked a deer in it.
It may have been more cooking than smoking though and a lot of effort.

JFK

WKR
I’d just bring some foil with you. Wrap them in that and set it in some coals for a few hours to cook the meat and help break it down without drying it out. Then smoke them for a short time over the fire.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've cooked Dall sheep ribs over an open fire twice. They have a lot of fat on their ribs in August, combined with being hungry on a sheep hunt, they were great - finger lickin good! I wish I would have taken pics of the ribs cooking on my first kill in 2004. I made a small fire ring from rocks on a ridge top just big enough to fit some ribs over the rocks and fire. I didn't have any seasonings, but I vividly remember how darned good they were. What's not to like about sizzling meat getting lightly charred over a fire and basting in its fat!!