Spring Bear w/o Grizz

BigCam47

FNG
Hi everyone.

I looked and couldn’t find any threads so I thought I’d pose the question. Looking into planning a spring black bear hunt and trying to hunt in country that isn’t Griz territory. Never hunted in griz territory so I thought I’d avoid it if I have the choice. I was thinking Central MT or West/South/Central ID. Would this be a good place to start? I’ve looked at primary distribution charts but also know that they are free to roam wherever they please. Figure first hand accounts are more reliable.

TIA!

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone.

I looked and couldn’t find any threads so I thought I’d pose the question. Looking into planning a spring black bear hunt and trying to hunt in country that isn’t Griz territory. Never hunted in griz territory so I thought I’d avoid it if I have the choice. I was thinking Central MT or West/South/Central ID. Would this be a good place to start? I’ve looked at primary distribution charts but also know that they are free to roam wherever they please. Figure first hand accounts are more reliable.

TIA!
Idaho posts which of there hunting units don’t have grizzlies. If you are really concerned, pick a unit that is at least two units away from a grizz unit.

I was born and grew up in NW MT, and spent a lot of time in the "grizz hot-bed." All on units in NW MT have at least some grizzly in them. 103 by far has the least amount (based on observation). I have never seen a grizzly in this unit, period, compared to 4 in a night in 141. I would be willing to bet that you could spend a whole season and not see a grizzly, not a guarantee though. If you want certainty, NW MT, or Montana as a whole probably isn't it.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to steer you away from MT, it is a fun place to hunt. However, if you don’t want to see a griz I would avoid MT. Sighting are unlikely outside the Glacier to Yellowstone corridor but still possible.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t hunt the Rocky Mountain Front in region 4, grizzly are mostly all over and higher density than the Flathead, lower Clark’s Fork areas

nick21

FNG
Any advice for hunting grizzly country? Camp etiquette? What has worked for encounters....etc?
Thanks