Springbar Canvas Tents for Weekend Camping?

I’m in the market for a tent but still trying to make up my mind. I had a lot of good feedback from a previous thread and decided to go with some type of springbar type tent (not decided if I’m gonna go with an actual springbar or a kodiak or what not). That being said, my goal was to get a tent that I could use to elk hunt with in September and October but also use it for summer camping trips with the family (mainly just 2 nights, but sometimes more). My question is, is it possible to get a tent that satisfies both? Like, is it worth it to fool with this type tent for just 2 nights? In addition, I am an east coast guy who travels west to elk hunt each year. So the summer camping would be in much higher humidity than in the mountains of the west! Thanks in advance!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in the market for a tent but still trying to make up my mind. I had a lot of good feedback from a previous thread and decided to go with some type of springbar type tent (not decided if I’m gonna go with an actual springbar or a kodiak or what not). That being said, my goal was to get a tent that I could use to elk hunt with in September and October but also use it for summer camping trips with the family (mainly just 2 nights, but sometimes more). My question is, is it possible to get a tent that satisfies both? Like, is it worth it to fool with this type tent for just 2 nights? In addition, I am an east coast guy who travels west to elk hunt each year. So the summer camping would be in much higher humidity than in the mountains of the west! Thanks in advance!
I use my springbar year around. Canvas is pretty amazing that's it's cooler when it's hot and warmer when it's cold

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
They really go up very quick. 2 nights is not a big deal to set up. I have camped site to site with my Kodiak 10x14. I really like the Springbar and I may buy a 10x10 from them.

ODB

WKR
my 10x10 kodiak is easy to setup solo. One caveat is that the larger size and necessity to have it staked means you’ll need a pretty level spot. I do enjoy the room and ability to stand up.

kpk

WKR
We got a 10x10 with the portico panels and really like it. It goes up a lot faster than you'd think. Seems to stay warmer at night, and cooler during the day than anything else I've used.
The only cons are that they're huge when packed.

I went with a Springbar due to the reported customer service after researching the hell out of both companies. We also liked the portico panels more than the Kodiak option.

Last edited:
I purchased a Kodiak VX 10'×10' last year and used it on a 2 man elk base camp. Very comfortable and sturdy in high winds. I added a footprint and an after market heavy duty canvas floor liner for added protection and insulation. As eltx mentioned, using 10"-12" lag bolts with washers and a rechargeable impact driver makes setup easy peazy. Make sure you dry it out good before rolling it up for storage.

As others have stated, very quick up and down. I'd go 10x14. 10x10 is not good for more than 1 person unless you really like them.

Another vote for the 10x14 VX for the help with condensation and flow during the summer, especially with you being on the east coast and with humidity. As others have said, 10-15 minute set up by myself. Only drawback is the size and weight. But it is rugged. Been in some pretty gnarly stuff that has flattened all the other tents in the area, but ours stood tall.

I bought a 10x14 Kodiak last September. Fantastic tent and I stayed over 10 days in it. It’s pretty tight family camping with 5 of us and a dog though. I’m going to get bunk bed cots for the kids so that will free up some space. Also looking at getting their covered vestibule tent/awning thing to cook and eat in. It sets up and goes down pretty fast.