stalker decoy for black bear hunting

ClydeM

FNG
I’ve successfully used the whitetail and turkey bow mounted decoys (from https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/ultimate-predator-stalker-decoys/) to spot and stalk/still hunt both species.

In my area(north Georgia mountains) spot and stalk/still hunting seems to be the best approach for black bear. Ultimate Predator gear doesn’t make a bear decoy, so i’m wondering which decoy(whitetail or turkey), would,be better to use

I’ve successfully used the whitetail and turkey bow mounted decoys (from https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/ultimate-predator-stalker-decoys/) to spot and stalk/still hunt both species.

In my area(north Georgia mountains) spot and stalk/still hunting seems to be the best approach for black bear. Ultimate Predator gear doesn’t make a bear decoy, so i’m wondering which decoy(whitetail or turkey), would,be better to use

Bears are about blind, so move slow, stop if the bear looks at you and keep the wind in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Don't waste the money on either "decoy".

Have no idea about your area but have a ton of experience hunting here on Vancouver Island where we have the luxury of awesome bear spot n stalk and getting in close on piles of them.

By the time they can see the detail on that decoy, it would be too late.

If you have no choice and you think the bear will see (not smell) you at some point as you apporoach, IMHO you are better off in dark solids and hope they think you're another bear.

If they suddenly pick up movement close (but can't smell you) they either run or get defensive (huffy). If they get defensive or hang up, huffing back at them sometimes works.

BUT... if it's a sow with cubs (that you didn't see) huffing will put the cubs up a tree and result in a real pissed off mom :)

If they smell you, I don't think it matters what you are wearing or look like.

Last edited:

LoggerDan

WKR
Bears are too easy to kill to need a decoy. I just wear a black hoody sometimes. But I mostly bear hunt in just a pair of shorts and cork boots.

208hntr

FNG
I would probably skip the decoy and stalk slowly.. but if you're going to be seen, I would hide behind the whitetail decoy.
Few turkeys are walking around in full strut in the fall, so I feel like the deer decoy would be more natural. Just a gut feeling