Storing grinding knives and plates

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking of storing the knife and grinding plates in a small plastic container with vegetable oil so they don’t rust.
Thoughts? Anyone try this?

92xj

WKR
I wash, dry and store in the drawer in the bottom of the grinder and haven’t had a speck of rust on them in 8 years. How are yours getting wet?

Wrench

WKR
Don't use vegetable oil. It goes rancid and gets sticky. If you must oil them, use mineral oil.

Mine came with a crappy little plastic container. I was let dry overnight and hit them with a cooking oil spray, wipe of excess and put them back in the container. I live near the coast and sometimes weird stuff rusts, especially stuff that’s stored for long periods of time so I figure it can’t hurt anything… I was everything before using again.

packer58

WKR
I wash, dry, oil and store each knife and plate together in a ziplock sammy bag. I also keep my knives and plates oriented so they run on the same face as a matched set...........maybe OCD overkill but works for me.......

Wrench

WKR
I wash, dry, oil and store each knife and plate together in a ziplock sammy bag. I also keep my knives and plates oriented so they run on the same face as a matched set...........maybe OCD overkill but works for me.......
Speaking of,

If your plates and knives seem to loose their edge, I sharpen mine on a surface grinder with amazing results. You can get nearly as good using a piece of 1000 on a surface plate, glass....etc. as long as it is dead flat. I am on my original blades and plates with more animals through it than you'd believe.

JFK

WKR
All good ideas. After mysteriously losing my only knife I run a zip tie through all my plates and blades before storing them so they are all accounted for. Also ordered a couple extra knives. Not a good feeling when you have 40lbs of meat to grind and no way to do it.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I’d suggest food grade silicone spray for the rust prone bits. Wash, let dry, light spray and in a zip lock bag they go till next time.
Another vote here for food grade silicon spray. I use LEM.