Super tarp

Dusty2426

WKR
Just bought a new super tarp from classifieds (thanks welpro222) and need to seam seal it. After searching I see that a lot of folks use silicone and Mineral spirits. My question is do you guys use regular silicone caulk from the tubes or is there a special silicone I need to get. And second what ratio to mineral spirits. Or how thick should the solution be. Thanks in advance.
Dusty

FlyGuy

WKR
There is a video on Kifaru with Patrick demonstrating how to do it that you should watch. It covers it very well.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Yup, but not too tight or the thread holes will open up too wide where the poles go. It takes some finesse to get the hang of it!

I just used silicone by itself so I don't think you need to make a slurry with mineral spirits. I just came back from rain and snow and I had 0 leaks or issues.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just used silicone by itself so I don't think you need to make a slurry with mineral spirits. I just came back from rain and snow and I had 0 leaks or issues.
Slurry thins the silicone and makes it easier to apply and uses less silicone which in turn adds less wieght to finished shelter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread but just an update if people are buying newer tarps/tipis from Kifaru, the tubes they send out with them now are pre-mixed so you no longer need to make a slurry...you can just directly apply the product.