Super zoom bridge cameras- FZ300 vs SX70

I already bought a nice Olympus from Doug a few years ago. I don't use it nearly as much as I hoped. I am wanting an extended zoom bridge camera point and shoot.

I know almost nothing about photography, the holy trinity of settings, or other BS. Maybe when I retire I will go All In. But I travel, scout and live rural. Back in the day I had a Canon Powershot something. Took it everywhere. Got a lot of cool shots with it. Image quality was probably junk. But I got the pics and really enjoyed coming home and showing the pics or bears, goats, sheep or whatever.

Point is I HAD A BLAST. And second point was the camera was ALWAYS with me. Truck seat, backpack, whatever.

I am suffering Analysis Paralysis. I for sure have a budget. I am not going Baller on a Sony anything for $1600. Leaving for a trip to Hawaii in a couple week and want to pack along a camera.

I've never bought anything Panasonic. The have an FZ300 which seems weatherproof. Offers 24X optical zoom (did see one review that it was really only equivalent to 200mm in DSLR- I am confused here, as specs claim 600mm equiv). Priced sub $500. In my budget. And may allow a filter to be screwed on the lens. More for protection than anything.

Cons are 2015 technology and 12mp. Do I care? I am not at all a techie...but 2015??? Wow

Canon has the SX70. I'm familiar with Canon. To me it's like a Ford or Chevy. Just kinda THE name. 65X optical. Reported to have great IS and AF. About the max I would want to spend at just sub $800.

Reported to be VERY poor in low light....which is when most of the critters are around.

I will digiscope through a Swaro or Meopta for super LR dedicated hunting, scouting stuff.

Anyone have a Pro or Con to either or experience with either? This would just be a bumming around, toss in my Man Purse, travel, dicking around camera that I would hope take a decent enough photo at 100 yards of elk, deer or moose....that a 7yr old would immediately be able to identify.

Any that I am missing? Those Nikon P series seem like Giants. I think physically too large to really pack around daily.

The SX70 is awesome. They also make the 740HS
Give us a call at 516-217-1000 and ask for Jeff
The Panasonic and the Canons are all excellent
Panasonic announced they are stopping production of point and shoots so Canon may be the better option

I took these with a used Bridge Camera I bought for $200 (Fuji finepix)
50X optical zoom
Drumming Ruffed Grouse about 30 yards away:
drummer (1).jpg

Grizzly about 300 yards away:
griz.jpg

Scoot

WKR
I've had 2 FZ Panasonic camera and been very happy with them. No comparison info for you unfortunately.

pirogue

WKR
I’ve been happy with the Canon SX70 I got from Cameraland. It reaches out there.

bigmoose

WKR
I have the Canon SX10 (20X) and I've been happy with it. It is small enough that it goes everywhere with me. I've also been looking at the SX70 for a little more reach. So far as low light goes, I would think it would be better than my old SX10 (think newer). Here are a few photos taken with my camera in the shade or low light. These are right out of the camera and could be touched up to look better. Not the greatest but good enough for me. I've taken hundreds of photos with the SX10.

9561aa.jpgIMG_1597a.jpgIMG_1530.jpg

I had the Cannon SX50 and it was amazing! The motor drive finally quit, so I went shopping for a new one a few years back. I was leaning towards the SX70, but I have been hearing good things about Panasonic. I found a great deal on a Panasonic Lumix FX80, so i picked it up. I see they have been discontinued, but I would guess to say that you can't go wrong with a Panasonic.

It was a bit of a learning curve as I was used to the Cannon, but I now getting it dialed in.

About 70 yards away

It takes some great colour and scenery photos.

With tech out there today, you can't go wrong with the camera you chose.

Cheers

SS

OP
J
I bought the Canon SX70. Just got back from Hawaii. Used it a fair bit. Lots more to learn. A bit frustrated with the Auto focus. But I probably a setting issue, not the camera.

How do I set a simple center dot or point Focus area? Wants to hunt in all corners and random areas. I can put things in the center and hold off for artistic and shot composition. If the camera would simply focus on what I put in the middle....rather than it guessing incorrectly what I am trying to photo....I'd be a much happier fella.

In Auto mode it seems any focus point settings are "automatic"

I got the Canon app to wifi photos to iPhone which is very handy, but I will download the card and futz with photos tonight and edit and determine what I really have or don't have.

Overall...the camera FEELS super jinky and 100% plastic. The partial metal body and weather sealing of the Panasonic FZ300 are making me wonder if I made a poor choice already.

Some more shots from my used (inexpensive) bridge camera with 50x optical zoom
I paid $200 so it is relatively inexpensive, therefore I am not afraid to take it in bad weather.
GreatBlueHeron2.jpggreenhead.png

Stalker69

WKR
Damn, that's bunch of mud hens. I've never seen that many so tightly packed together. Did you keep telling them, get closer, a little closer. Lol

OP
J
UPDATE: I did purchase a new Canon 70SX HD. Not totally certain of my overall thoughts. Trying to learn and advance. I do like the in viewfinder electronics that show the changes and tweaks I am making prior to shutter trip. Helping me learn.

Auto is challenging. Not really able to over ride into manual focus and the the focus generally shifts where I DO NOT WANT it. I'd love a simply center pin point focus, but I can not seem to master finding that setting.

I shoot in P mode most often. Just enough stuff to tweak and gets me a better focus point.

Like competetive archery....I do like to "range" things to see the actual distance to learn what I can expect for image sharpness. I have some very serviceable photos of deer and turkeys at 160-180 yards.

Would like to try another camera. In my reading and learning up to the purchase, I am understanding sensor size and it's limitations much better. Would like to try a larger sensor and 480mm equivalent. But I think Panasonic is leaving the camera game per CameralandNY.....then I get emails saying CLNY now a Panasonic super dealer.

Heading to central Idaho tonight. Should have some photo ops over the weekend.

Panasonic is NOT leaving the camera business. They are expanding their mirrorless. They are refreshing some of the point and shoot line. We have the FZ300, FZ2500 and FZ1000 II all in stock and of course will be discounted for members here.