Surround sound for the house

I know nothing about surround sound and the new sound bars many of them feature. My hearing is gone and I now wear hearing aids to hear anything. I have high ceilings in my new house and struggling to hear the TV. I don't listen to music so I am looking for a system to enhance the TV sound. Hoping to stay under $500 if anyone that knows can suggest one. Must be wireless.

The room where it will go.

t5T9ZqU.jpg

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
To stay under $500 I would suggest a bluetooth sound bar that you can connect to your TV. That way you can put it somewhere to make it optimal for your hearing. The best position is front and center.

logem

FNG
At a minimum, you should have a center speaker, and two front (right and left) speakers. This is easier to incorporate into a large open room and should work pretty well. A complete surround system will include a subwoofer, side speakers and rear speakers. You shouldn't need that level of system to improve your ability to hear the sound well.

I send my television audio through a stereo receiver which drives the speakers. You may look into a surround sound receiver, but it would likely push you past $500 with center and front speakers.

def90

WKR
If you already have hearing aids they make devices that will pump the sound from your TV right in to your aids..

And yeah, I install residential and commercial audio systems, $500 isn't going to get you anything worth the $500 you are spending in regards to speakers or sound systems.

Marshfly

WKR
Surround sound won't fix your issue. That room has terrible reverberation due to the size and lack of soft surfaces. Your fixes are to soften it up with acoustical treatment or lots of curtains, rugs, etc. or headphones as said above. You are essentially trying to watch tv in the house version of a basketball court. The same way shoe chirps echo in a basketball gym is what is happening to the sound from your tv.

Oldbuff

FNG
For $500, I doubt you can purchase any sort of decent surround sound system.

In my opinion, nothing beats PA equipment. Especially when it comes to horsepower per dollar. I have two PA speaker cabinets hanging from the ceiling on each side of my living room and each cab has two 15” speakers and a horn. I don’t remember the wattage of the amp pushing them but it was only about $250 new. Speaker might have cost me another 3-400. This set up will damn near make the dishes jump out of the cabinet. I have pots & pans hanging from a ladder in the kitchen and when I give it some throttle the pans start to swing on their hook a little. Your space is way bigger than mine, but I feel very confident you don’t need or want it as loud as I do. This setup would be about the same size as the band down at the local bar would use, and they’re probably not using all of it.

I don’t know how to post links but here’s a screenshot from guitar center. This setup is much smaller than mine but I bet it would do more than you’re asking. Go to guitar center, or any music store that sells PA equipment and tell them what you want and you can hear it for yourself.

“Home Audio” is a waste of money.

IMG_2947.png