Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 vs Meopta Meostar R1r 3-12x56

Spacek81

FNG
I'm looking at purchasing one of these scopes to mount on my Christensen Arms Mesa 7mm PRC. Looking for pros and cons from those of you who have possibly owned both and which one you actually prefer. Feedback is also appreciated from those of you who have owned either one and what you liked and didn't like and if you would purchase again. Thanks!

Can I ask what the application is? Seems like you’re asking for input on two optics with fairly different intended uses. I’m looking at a similar Swaro to put on my Savage UL in 270win so I’m curious why you’re looking at the Meopta as an alternative. Thanks.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT. I wouldnt buy it again. Its only got 13MOA of elevation adjustment in the one turn. That would be fine for hunting but Im not confident in its internal strength.

OP
Spacek81

Spacek81

FNG
Can I ask what the application is? Seems like you’re asking for input on two optics with fairly different intended uses. I’m looking at a similar Swaro to put on my Savage UL in 270win so I’m curious why you’re looking at the Meopta as an alternative. Thanks.
It will be used for hunting only. Both of these 2 scopes are intended for hunting and are practically similar in price.

Lando

WKR
If you intend to have the scope hold zero, adjust correctly, and dial for long range, I wouldn't get either one. I'd look at this Maven:
A Trijicon Tenmile or Credo; or a Nightforce.

OP
Spacek81

Spacek81

FNG
I don't intend to shoot long distances as in target shooting. 500yds is my max as I will use this scope for hunting. I also want capped turrets for this reason and want a simple plex type reticle.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
If you intend to have the scope hold zero, adjust correctly, and dial for long range, I wouldn't get either one. I'd look at this Maven:
A Trijicon Tenmile or Credo; or a Nightforce.

Do the high end Meoptas have a bad reputation?

huckfin

FNG
I have the z3 4-12, z5 3.5-18, z5 5-25 all with the BRX/BRH reticle. They are great second focal plane scopes with capped turrets that have awsome long range reticle in them that help you reach out further than typical bdc reticles. I have used mine to take 3 deer from 600-740 yards and a couple bears from 50- 460 yards. They are also super lightweight with great glass that's very clear all with a 1" main tube. I'm a big fan of these scopes for a lightweight option to shoot out to 800yards depending on your cartridge.

Last edited:

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I agree with @huckfin. I own a Z5 5-25 and absolutely love it. Been using it for about 5 years and has never lost zero. I also use the BRX reticle and have killed elk out past 1000 yards. I just got another one to put on a new rifle. Once you dial in your load, the Swarovski ballistic app is awesome. You put in your info, and it spits out what your yardages are for each crosshair and dot at each given power.

Lando

WKR
Do the high end Meoptas have a bad reputation?
The Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 actually did quite well in a Rokslide/Form test:

The Swaros do not have a good reputation for holding zero, tracking etc.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
The Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 actually did quite well in a Rokslide/Form test:

The Swaros do not have a good reputation for holding zero, tracking etc.

I was wondering about the Meostar.

huckfin

FNG
@JJ1179 if you are lucky and still have strelok it's just as easy to calibrate the reticle, gives exact yardages and projected wind hold. This is my reticle calibrated for my 264win shooting 156gr EOLs. Its also not hard to split the hold overs between hash marks and dots.Screenshot_20240221_053823_Strelok Pro.jpg