taking a hard look at this tent

Floorguy

WKR
I use a Bearpaw pyranet 1 and that's whats in the back of the Khufu in the first picture. I also used one of Bearpaws nests in my SL3, the one that's custom for the SL3. John at bearpaw is a real nice guy but his nests and tents are no where near the quality of Locus Gear, Hyperlite, and MLD in my opinion. Both nests I've bought from him and one of my buddies tents have been way off on his published weight specs, which was very frustrating. I sew paraloft equipment with industrial sewing machines as part of my job in the CG and that's where I'm coming from as far as the quality of his nests/ tents. Again, I continue to use his stuff and would recommend it but you definitely get what you pay for from some of these other tent builders. My .02

Thanks for the reply, I have no experience with bearpawwd but I have been looking at different shelters from him and other companies I had actually just been looking at the Luna before you had posted so it was fresh in my mind. You are also the first person I have really heard anything negative about his products

Getting back on topic, littlebuff I would love to read your review if you decide to get it. I seem to be checking out zpacks page everyday looking at their shelters ands keep waffling between jumpingnon a tent or tarp to replace my sl5 for solo trips or a tarp for emergency bivy.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from wt. being off, what do you notice most regarding quality difference?

The stitching is really sloppy and his corner seams are shit. Looks like he either rushes putting these things together or just isn't steady on the machines. I noticed it when I bought my first nest from him but really picked up on it when I bought the second nest and was looking at it compared to my Khufu. I paid $200 for his cuben nest with the lighter .8 bug netting and weight was off by 3.5 ounces. 3 ounces for my sil SL3 nest

The stitching is really sloppy and his corner seams are shit. Looks like he either rushes putting these things together or just isn't steady on the machines. I noticed it when I bought my first nest from him but really picked up on it when I bought the second nest and was looking at it compared to my Khufu. I paid $200 for his cuben nest with the lighter .8 bug netting and weight was off by 3.5 ounces. 3 ounces for my sil SL3 nest
Good to know, thanks.

Mike7

WKR
This info interests me because I think that I need one more shelter.

I have had some Bearpaw modifications to gear and have a Bearpaw Luna shelter as well. The stitching seems really good to me on the modifications. The stitching on the Luna is not as pretty as my TiGoat Tipi, but the stitching on my particular TiGoat shelter seems immaculate/better from what I can tell as a nonprofessional sewer, even when compared to other well known companies on this forum. The functionality, strength, and material though seems good on the Luna shelter, and it has stood up well in moderate weather. I also have a couple of non-shelter Mountain Laurel Designs items(one cuben fiber), and they seem very high in quality.

So, being that Hyperlite Mountain Gear is so expensive and the MLD & Japanese gear is not the size that I feel is best and not likely amenable to modification, I wonder if Bearpaw isn't the best value? I don't know for sure because I haven't used these other shelters personally. I have been looking at getting another Bearpaw shelter in large part because I can get the exact size, zipper/door configuration, perimeter netting, shelter material, guyline/Linelocs, etc. that I require.

I think that in general you can't beat a pyramid floorless shelter for versatility in the backcountry. And I wonder if there is really much of a difference in functionality/durability of these various company's pyramid shelters...and if there is a difference, is that difference enough to make up for me not being able to get exactly the features that I want and for a cheaper price from Bearpaw? Tough decisions :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I ordered a hexalite solo plus from Zpacks last year. Never really got to use it much as it COULD work for Becca and I as a bivy shelter together, but it was just a little too small. The tarp version of the tent littlebuf is looking at would likely have been better.

That said I ordered a Pyratent in Cuben from Bearpaw to serve as a solo shelter for myself or a bivy shelter for Becca and I. It comes in at 15.5 oz (listed at 14) in the stuff sack. Its slightly larger than the SL-3 and the square floor design makes that 60 some sq ft more useable than the SL-3 I had with it s Hex design, but both were roughly about 50" tall and I know the SL-3 worked great as a bivy shelter for 2 or even squeeze in there without packs if needed, but this 15.5 oz one is roughly half the weight of the SL-5 I have been using. Haven't tied all the guylines on it yet added all the stakes for every guy point, but we'll see how it goes. This cuben stuff is far from cheap, so we shall see if it is worth the $$$ they command. :)

Here's a couple pics of Seeks LBO, with the 3 piece vestibule, in cuben fiber. At 74 sq. ft. and 17 oz. (just shelter, nothing else), it's definitely another good option. My silnylon LBO performed flawlessly, through a very heavy wind/rain storm, this last Oct. on Kodiak. I would think that the CF would perform as well if not better.

Attachments

• cuben LBO.jpg
    cuben LBO.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 145
  • cuben LBO2.jpg
    cuben LBO2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have had zero issues using my Zpacks Hexamid solo plus. The cuben fiber seems to be pretty tough to me.

I have used it in some pretty high winds, snow, hail and rain. Littlebuf and Brock can attest to the nasty weather we had last year at the end of September on one of our trips.

Someone mentioned that the cuben fiber doesn't stretch and that is accurate. It is one of my favorite things about it. After I set it up I never have an issue with it sagging like you do with a regular tent. The other major plus is obviously the weight savings.

Manosteel

WKR
Just great, with all the CF talk I'm researching CF shelters... :mad: just so much gear and so little time to use all that is out there.

Floorguy

WKR
I have had zero issues using my Zpacks Hexamid solo plus. The cuben fiber seems to be pretty tough to me.

I have used it in some pretty high winds, snow, hail and rain. Littlebuf and Brock can attest to the nasty weather we had last year at the end of September on one of our trips.

Someone mentioned that the cuben fiber doesn't stretch and that is accurate. It is one of my favorite things about it. After I set it up I never have an issue with it sagging like you do with a regular tent. The other major plus is obviously the weight savings.

does your hexamid solo plus have the extended beak?

Mike7

WKR
Luke, what is your impression of your Bearpaw cuben shelter?
I like the size and most of the features of the HMG Ultamid 2, but $675 prior to perirmeter netting seems a little steep in cost.

Clarktar

WKR
Dang, I did not know Seekoutside was offering there shelters in CF. Adds another option to consider now.....

really just need a solid lightweight solo shelter, then something bigger for multiple person trips (1-2 other hunters, or my wife and daughter), which will also need to be lightweight......

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
The search for a lightweight solo shelter is tough! I ended up with a MLD Duomid after a lot of research. Storm worthiness and weight were the most important factors for me. I didn't want the shelter to come apart the first windstorm that comes through. Then bang for the buck. After 25 or so days in it last year I was very happy with it. My only complaint is that I had to seam seal both the inside and outside to keep the seams from dripping.

My Duomid without the nest is 26 ounces including stuff sack, stakes and guylines as pictured. The Solomid nest was 11.2 ounces on my scale.

Just another option to muddy the waters further. :D

DSC00638.jpgDSC00740.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
Cool picture with the plane nearly on top of the tent.

I have been looking at the SeekOutside BCS 2. Does anyone know if you can pitch this with trekking poles? Seems like a solid shelter for my multiple person outings, wether it is wife and daughter, or hunting group etc..

Clarktar

WKR
I have really been leaning towards the LBO base to base with a connecting tarp (that has stove jack). It seems this is a great setup, and weights a little over three pounds. Then if you get a 3 sided vestible, you can take out just one LBO base and have a smaller shelter for two people, or a large shelter for 1 person. This way all needs are covered, double base setup for large groups (4+) and 1 LBO base with vestible for 1-2 people. The weights of these shelters seem agreeable as well. Less than 2 lbs for the smaller, and a little over 3 lbs for the double base.

Can anyone see any downsides? Want to make sure I am evaluating as much as possible before I drop this much cash...

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack littlebuf.

I have really been leaning towards the LBO base to base with a connecting tarp (that has stove jack). It seems this is a great setup, and weights a little over three pounds. Then if you get a 3 sided vestible, you can take out just one LBO base and have a smaller shelter for two people, or a large shelter for 1 person. This way all needs are covered, double base setup for large groups (4+) and 1 LBO base with vestible for 1-2 people. The weights of these shelters seem agreeable as well. Less than 2 lbs for the smaller, and a little over 3 lbs for the double base.

Can anyone see any downsides? Want to make sure I am evaluating as much as possible before I drop this much cash...

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack littlebuf.

how would you run that for 4 people? the shape just doesnt seem conduscive to it

Clarktar

WKR
The Base tarp Base would be 4 people. It seems you can have two people in each base unit, then stove and gear would be in the middle portion (tarp).

Clarktar, The LBO, tarp, LBO set up is huge. There's plenty of room for four people gear and a stove. My buddy has this set up, and for the weight it can't be beat IMO. I just got an email from seek outside this morning and they have several LBO's, vestibules, and tarps that they are liquidating for cheap. Check out their website. If you do decide to purchase a LBO and two piece vestibule, I have a vestibule that's in perfect shape, seam sealed, etc. that I'll sell you at a very good price.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks AK! I think I am leaning this way. Just to much versatility to say no!