Talley Mounts for Xbolt?

BCD

WKR
Can anyone talk about their experiences with Talley mounts? Thinking about getting some for my Xbolt 300 WSM to get the scope a little lower as compared to the current Warne one piece rail. Do people feel like these are a solid option?

Thank You!

Scottf270

WKR
There are several threads out there about Talley's cracking the upper half of the ring if torque is too high or fatigue sets in. They don't appear as robust and are contoured differently than the Leupold Back Country.

They have been around and worked for years but with higher expectations of hunting gear, there may be better options.

Reactions: BCD
I have used them on a 22-250 and a 300 H&H Mag. I really like them and have had no problems with them. I use my rifles pretty hard too. They have been on the back of a 4-wheeler and the back of a SxS and bounced around quite a bit. I do lap them to make sure everything is aligned.

Reactions: BCD
I have Talley LWs on at least 5 of my non magnum hunting rifles. Some I guess are 10 years old. I have not had any issues. I do use a fat wrench to tighten to spec. I am not exceptionally tough on rifles. If I was the least bit worried about durability of my mounts I would stick with the Warnes which I also have on several magnums. Durability is a issue you just don't have to worry about for an once or two or a bit lower scope mounting. There are plenty of reports of cracked Talley LW mounts.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talley light wieght rings worked great for me too until they didn't.

I missed a the biggest antelope I've ever seen, and could not figure out what happened since I was prone off my pack.

Yep top ring cracked, called them they sent a new top cap and that one cracked too. I used a torque driver on the screws.

Now I'll take the wieght penalty of a robust optic and mount system on my rifle and not worry about another failure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a pair that goes along with the Hells Canyon Speed in 7 RM, SWFA 3-15x on top. Maybe 250 rounds loaded hot and a couple animals, no problems… yet.

I will say that they don’t instill as much confidence as some of my other rings like DNZ and Warne. Taking it on bull hunt this fall so hopefully I’m not overlooking a problem.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve never broken a Talley ring but I have broken their screws before. I do think the (4) bolt mount on the xbolt is a good design to use a Talley mount.

My Xbolt has Talley mounts without issue but they are a well known failure point.

KenLee

WKR
I have them on 4 x-bolt 300wsm.
I use 2 and my brother and a now grown "borrowed hunting midget" use the other 2.
No issues with them.

Darryle

WKR
I have 2 sets of the 1" low or medium 20 MOA I'd make you a good deal on. If you are interested, send me a PM. One set is NIP.

I switched to the Warne steel weaver style bases and rings for more flexibility of eye relief.

I have a Browning HCS in 300WM that had Talley LW’s and had no problem until I changed scopes. The scope I changed to had less adjustment and I could not adjust enough to get on target. I knew that the scope I pulled off didn’t have that problem but didn’t know at the time it had more adjustment. Went back to the original scope to see how much adjustment it had left and discovered it was at its max. I ordered a DNZ Game Reaper one piece and was good. Had to adjust the scope a lot after mounting in the new mount. Talleys were off center. As I had three other rifles with the DNZ mounts and this was the only one I had Talley’s on, I am hanging with the DNZ mounts. I will say again that I didn’t have any problems with the scope that had enough adjustment.