The Fog Factor while hunting Mountain Goat

Some people never move in fog. Some use it strategically in the right circumstances. Which are you?
I've got an article coming out in the next few days about handling fog on a recent goat hunt in SE Alaska. I'm sure the reaction will be mixed. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
On my Kodiak goat hunt in 2021, the first huntable morning, the mountain that we had a billy on was fogged in up high after the storm that blew in the night before. We didn't get in a hurry that morning, but the packer that was with us, went for a quick look and came back quickly and said that the billy was down low, out of the fog. We went and took a look and the fog started to lift as the sun starting to shine through. We put a stalk plan together and got over on the other mountain and got above him; killing him around 4 that afternoon. I would be one who would use the fog to my advantage and make moves into position if in that situation and it is a high percentage chance at getting a shot. The only downside I see to moving in the fog is if the goats would move as well and you could end up make a big hike/stalk as the goat is headed out of the basin/area.

OP
alaskalund
On my Kodiak goat hunt in 2021, the first huntable morning, the mountain that we had a billy on was fogged in up high after the storm that blew in the night before. We didn't get in a hurry that morning, but the packer that was with us, went for a quick look and came back quickly and said that the billy was down low, out of the fog. We went and took a look and the fog started to lift as the sun starting to shine through. We put a stalk plan together and got over on the other mountain and got above him; killing him around 4 that afternoon. I would be one who would use the fog to my advantage and make moves into position if in that situation and it is a high percentage chance at getting a shot. The only downside I see to moving in the fog is if the goats would move as well and you could end up make a big hike/stalk as the goat is headed out of the basin/area.
Yeah there are a lot of variables to analyze before foolishly heading into the clouds with a #fullsend attitude. Consider the situation and make the call. I've hunkered and I've moved and been happy with both decisions, notched tag or not.

Some people never move in fog. Some use it strategically in the right circumstances. Which are you?
I've got an article coming out in the next few days about handling fog on a recent goat hunt in SE Alaska. I'm sure the reaction will be mixed. Stay tuned.
Grew up there…be ready for wet wet wet