Tikka acquired

I picked up a T3x D-18 at Cabelas yesterday, the 243s were $400 off.
IMG_0340.jpeg
This will be a donor action for a rebarrel. I think it will look great with a 16” spiral fluted barrel in bead blast matte stainless, and a Raptor 8 with 3” reflex hanging on the end.

That action really IS like butter, and the trigger is so crisp and short that I find it slightly unsettling. I am used to two stage triggers so this is kind of abrupt. Nothing I can’t get used to, I am sure. Definitely will want to swap out to the more vertical grip.

The stock seems plenty stiff for hunting purposes. I can squeeze the barrel down to where it contacts the stock, so I could see shooting off a bipod and really bearing down on it could potentially cause a shift in POI. I am guessing it will cause me no issues though.

-pg

ThatDUDE

WKR
I picked up a T3x D-18 at Cabelas yesterday, the 243s were $400 off.
View attachment 650495
This will be a donor action for a rebarrel. I think it will look great with a 16” spiral fluted barrel in bead blast matte stainless, and a Raptor 8 with 3” reflex hanging on the end.

That action really IS like butter, and the trigger is so crisp and short that I find it slightly unsettling. I am used to two stage triggers so this is kind of abrupt. Nothing I can’t get used to, I am sure. Definitely will want to swap out to the more vertical grip.

The stock seems plenty stiff for hunting purposes. I can squeeze the barrel down to where it contacts the stock, so I could see shooting off a bipod and really bearing down on it could potentially cause a shift in POI. I am guessing it will cause me no issues though.

-pg
Once you go Tikka you never go back. (Or if you mistakenly do you spend all your down time trying to figure out how to get a Tikka again. Or maybe that is just me.)

OP
P
I'd maybe buy your barrel. How much? Twist rate?
It is a 1:8 twist and I think 22” long. It also comes with a brake, cerakoted to match.

I honestly don’t know what barrels are going for, and I also don’t have the tools to remove it, I was going to have the gunsmith remove it when I get the new barrel. If you are interested though I could talk to him about popping it off sooner.

I’ll think about it for a bit and PM you.

Ibex

FNG
I bought one a couple weeks ago. I would suggest shoot it with berger 105’s or 108 eldm’s if you reload. Great shooting gun.

Bought the same gun under the same sale three days ago. Working on a load for it soon. It shoots well with nosler 95 ballistic. I like it as much as my t3x 223. Stock needs work but I'll get there.

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_135634113.jpg
    IMG_20231230_135634113.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 56
That action really IS like butter, and the trigger is so crisp and short that I find it slightly unsettling.
It’s pretty impressive for a sub 1000$, gotta love what tikka offers

I got away from them for awhile out of curiosity, but now I’m back, and now that I’ve had several other rifles, I appreciate tikka a lot

They do anything I need a rifle to do well, I won’t stray very far again, and when I add to the stable, I’m keeping my tikkas, never again selling one to buy something else

OP
P
I bought one a couple weeks ago. I would suggest shoot it with berger 105’s or 108 eldm’s if you reload. Great shooting gun.
When I saw this has a 1:8 twist was tempted to keep it as a 243, but I am definitely going to rebarrel it. Seems like it would be a fantastic gun for ‘yotes and whitetail.

Bought the same gun under the same sale three days ago. Working on a load for it soon. It shoots well with nosler 95 ballistic. I like it as much as my t3x 223. Stock needs work but I'll get there.

I think a cheek riser of some sort is definitely in order, and the vertical grip will suit my wrist much better.

I think a cheek riser of some sort is definitely in order, and the vertical grip will suit my wrist much better.
Both grip and cheek riser are on order. Went with mountain tactical for the riser.

Also need to get the scope sorted with some unknown rings.

It'll shoot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I grabbed one of these as well. With their $400 off, plus active junky cash back, plus military discount, plus Tikka's $75 rebate, it will come in right at $853 including tax.

So, question......is anyone loading a 1:8" .243 with the 108gr ELD-M's? If so, what load recipe are you using? I'll probably use H4350, but might also try some Hunter. I measured the mag length right around 2.84" with calipers but will have to experiment to see what will actually work with it. Thanks for any info.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I grabbed one of these as well. With their $400 off, plus active junky cash back, plus military discount, plus Tikka's $75 rebate, it will come in right at $853 including tax.

So, question......is anyone loading a 1:8" .243 with the 108gr ELD-M's? If so, what load recipe are you using? I'll probably use H4350, but might also try some Hunter. I measured the mag length right around 2.84" with calipers but will have to experiment to see what will actually work with it. Thanks for any info.
In your load work I'd measure to the lands with those heavies then back off from there based on your preferences and see what load shoots well vs trying to stick with that mag length and potentially stuffing bullets way into the case. You have two longer mag options readily available as needed, the M+ is 2.98" if I recall correctly and if you need longer there is the long action mag. Off hand I don't know if a bolt stop change/mod is needed for the M+ or not but is fairly cheap/simple if so.

Blueman75

FNG
I recently bought a new Tikka .243 with the 1:8 twist. I ordered some 108 ELDMs from Unknown Munitions. I haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet but they fit in the factory mag and cycle through the gun fine.

That's a sweet deal.

Like others said I'd probably just load to mag length or 40-50 thou jump on top of H4350 and I bet results will be good.

When I saw this has a 1:8 twist was tempted to keep it as a 243, but I am definitely going to rebarrel it. Seems like it would be a fantastic gun for ‘yotes and whitetail.

What caliber are you gonna go with? I’m sure you’ve thought of it, but why not just chop it down to 16?
I’m typing this out to convince myself I don’t need to rebarrel my 18.5” tikka 243 so I can have a sweet spiral fluted 6creed haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I ordered some 108 ELDMs from Unknown Munitions. I haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet but they fit in the factory mag and cycle through the gun fine.
Ya, I saw those at UM........specs say loaded to 2.71". I would imagine that they did testing to come up with that load. Will definitely be looking to put them in that 40-50 thousandths jump range and see how they shoot there. This doesn't have to be an 800 yard hunting gun for me, but I still like shooting steel out to 600 or so.