Tikka M595 or T3X?

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I've been playing with the idea of getting a M595. I see a few used ones floating around the local shops from time to time. For those that have the M595 and T3X, what do you think? Are the M595 barrels easy to swap out like the T3? Part of me just wants something older an intersting...the other part just wants to stick with what has worked for me.

mcdues

FNG
The M695/M595 is a step up from the T3 series, in aesthetics, but in function, they both have nice triggers, slick actions, and shoot itty bitty groups on average.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to bump this up. Are all parts that interface with the action interchangeable between T3x and T3? (bolt, magazine, stock, trigger, tikka-specific rings that mount directly to the action)

And if the T3 takes all the same components as a t3x, are there other tikka models that do the same?

max-x

FNG
The T3 and 595 share common barrel specs and triggers, for the most part.

Switch barrel on the 595 is easy. Vice and a big wrench and gtg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The M695/M595 is a step up from the T3 series, in aesthetics, but in function, they both have nice triggers, slick actions, and shoot itty bitty groups on average.
I have an M695, why do you say this? Sure some of them came in nicer wood stocks but they also came in composite (mine did) which doesn't offer any aesthetic improvement at all in my mind. The benefit with a 695 is that it has a longer COAL (~3.49" iirc) and metal mags. Now a M595 I'm not as sure about, while its shorter being a short action I would wager its heavier than a T3/T3x but it's built stouter.
I'm going to bump this up. Are all parts that interface with the action interchangeable between T3x and T3? (bolt, magazine, stock, trigger, tikka-specific rings that mount directly to the action)

And if the T3 takes all the same components as a t3x, are there other tikka models that do the same?
I believe T3 and T3x are functionally interchangeable. The bolt stops for instance have a minuscule difference but not enough to typically matter.

I think, but haven't checked, the triggers can be swapped from a M595/695 and the T3/T3x. The bolts are different but I'm sure the slot for the bolt handle could take T3/T3x handles (haven't tried), bottom metal and mags are different. Dovetails for optics are the same, bolt spacing for a PIC rail are likely different. Stocks are obviously different as the M595, M695, and T3/T3x all have different footprints.

bonepoint

FNG
I just inherited a M695 stainless 270. I am playing around with load development and it shoots great. It is quite a bit heavier than a TX3 and the synthetic stock is average at best. There aren't many options for a stock replacement. Wayne York (Oregonsmithing in Pendleton) will make one and that is really the only option I have found, other than custom inletting. I am not sure what you are gaining over the TX3 for the extra weight and limited stock options and parts.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just inherited a M695 stainless 270. I am playing around with load development and it shoots great. It is quite a bit heavier than a TX3 and the synthetic stock is average at best. There aren't many options for a stock replacement. Wayne York (Oregonsmithing in Pendleton) will make one and that is really the only option I have found, other than custom inletting. I am not sure what you are gaining over the TX3 for the extra weight and limited stock options and parts.
FYI, stockys is gonna get a M695 action from one of the forum members to map out and verify if the inletting would fit their current Tikka stock designs (it should) so light at the end of the tunnel for stock options perhaps. :)

Main thing you gain with the M695 is turn key ~3.49" COAL which makes some caliber loadings nicer vs a stock T3. My 280AI is built on a M695 but would have the bullet seated much deeper in the case if it was a T3.

bonepoint

FNG
FYI, stockys is gonna get a M695 action from one of the forum members to map out and verify if the inletting would fit their current Tikka stock designs (it should) so light at the end of the tunnel for stock options perhaps. :)

Main thing you gain with the M695 is turn key ~3.49" COAL which makes some caliber loadings nicer vs a stock T3. My 280AI is built on a M695 but would have the bullet seated much deeper in the case if it was a T3.
Thanks for the info on the COAL.

Great news on Stocky's making an M695 stock. I would certainly be interested. What stock and when do you think it will be out?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the info on the COAL.

Great news on Stocky's making an M695 stock. I would certainly be interested. What stock and when do you think it will be out?
They are planning to map out an action one of the guys here is gonna send in to confirm if fits in their tikka stocks (it should, the footprints are similar they just have a different inlet), so I would presume that would mean the two versions of the Tikka they currently have and maybe the rokstok if unknown munitions gives the nod to that, again IF it all fits, which I think it should. Its in their que to do, don't know a timeline, I am just pleased they were responsive to the request and I can have some patience around it. :)

Maverick1

WKR
Been very happy with my M695 (270) for the last 20+ years. A bit heavier than my T3 and T3X models but that’s irrelevant for my purposes and sometimes preferred for longer sessions at the range.