Tikka XLR Element Lightweight Magazine Options

gtriple

WKR
I've got a 6.5PRC Tikka that I'm about to put into an XLR Element 4.0 MG. I'm trying to avoid the 4.9oz 3-round metal mag if possible.

I know that, unfortunately, the Hawkins Hunter doesn't fit the Tikka action. I've reached out to Hawkins to see if they might be working on one.

In another thread, this one: https://mag3d.ca/product/aics-style-6-5-prc-magazine/ was recommended, but it ended with a catastrophic failure after one range trip.

I've also read you can shave/grind down other polymer mags to make them fit. Anybody have more info on that? Which mags do you start with and what do you need to grind down?

Has anybody tried the MDT 3-round polymer mags?

Appreciate the help!

I have the MDT 3-round polymer mags, but for a standard 308-based cartridge. I don't believe they make one for the PRC case.

They fit in any chassis or bottom metal which accept aics mags. Unlike the hawkins, there is no flange on the bottom plate- they simply fit up into the bottom metal.

H80Hunter

WKR
Bumping this up as I was/am looking for the same question. I have the MDT metal 30 WSM/6.5 PRC mag.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Bumping this up as I was/am looking for the same question. I have the MDT metal 30 WSM/6.5 PRC mag.
A lightweight 6.5prc AICS mag for a Tikka? Nothing out there yet. But I've requested it from XLR, MDT, and Hawkins. Maybe we could do a Kickstarter to get Jake and UM to try to make one? Lol

Jim Row

FNG
Classified Approved
Just checking in to see what best option is at the moment for lightweight 3 round AICS? It’s a Tikka in 6.5 PRC for XLR element 4.0. Any direction for mag selection would be great help. Thanks!

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Just checking in to see what best option is at the moment for lightweight 3 round AICS? It’s a Tikka in 6.5 PRC for XLR element 4.0. Any direction for mag selection would be great help. Thanks!
There's not currently a lightweight option.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I have the MDT 3-round polymer mags, but for a standard 308-based cartridge. I don't believe they make one for the PRC case.
So the mdt mag worked in your Tikka chassis? I have an accurate mag still widdling down the feed lips inside cause they scratch the brass so bad. Local shop an a MDT aics mag I thought about trying can't just pop it out an try way packaging is.

Jim Row

FNG
Classified Approved
MDT polymer .308 mag works great in tikka chasis in .308. Feeds super smooth.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Bolt body drug across the feed lips I took a wood chisel an slowly peeled away little by little. Magazine has the slightest bit of play front to back an if it's tilted forward it'll drag a little on it but not enough to work about. Mag is adjusted tight as it when get. Put 3 rounds in mag an fed fine20240329_180629.jpg