Time to upgrade gps

So I have an old rino 530 and it has done alright. Actually disappointed with it since it will randomly shuts off when I hit the radio. Looking for a new unit that has maps that are satellite images. I keep hearing people will just buy whatever unit they like then put onxmaps on the unit. What are you guys using out there?

dotman

WKR
I really like the Rhino 650 and yup don't buy the topi model get onxmaps.

This past season a hunting buddy of mine let me borrow his In-Reach, just in case, it's a satellite communicator GPS combo. The thing can be linked to your cell phone so you have a larger screen and you can type/text from your phone to other cell phones, along with the distress/SOS button. You might want to consider this option along with a portable power cell to recharge from if needed.

LaHunter

WKR
i've had a Garmin Montana 650t for the past 2-3 years. I have been very pleased with this unit. I also use the onXmap chip in mine and I highly recommend this. This unit has a little larger screen, which I like. The battery life has been very good for me, but I make sure to turn the unit off when I am not using it.

dotman

WKR
For states I hunt a lot I prefer the individual but for areas I may hunt every other year or so I get the regional maps. But in reality you get more value with the regional maps as you get three states and the only major diff is the regional doesn't have landowner names but still has all private and public lands etc.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thanks for the replies. Never heard of in-reach. Going to have to check it out. Sounds interesting. Can you load maps on it?

Ray

WKR
In Reach is primarily a communication device not a GPS.
Through an app on a phone you can use maps on your phone. You will have to get the Explorer as the SE does not have in-device navigation screens.

The screen is also small so I use the phone and a mapping app, leaving the IR for communication.

Beastmode

WKR
As of now you can't get onx maps for an inreach, but I heard that is going to change. They are also talking about making a more user friendly gps model with the same distress and tracking abilities as the inreach. If this is the case I think I will be buying one.

I currently use a garmin Oregon and it works great for me.

FWilliams

FNG
As of now you can't get onx maps for an inreach, but I heard that is going to change. They are also talking about making a more user friendly gps model with the same distress and tracking abilities as the inreach. If this is the case I think I will be buying one.

I currently use a garmin Oregon and it works great for me.

I also use the Oregon, but if this is true I am def. going this direction

dotman

WKR
I've always thought Garmin should partner with delorme or spot and add the sos/messaging function to their devices.

Trial153

WKR
I've always thought Garmin should partner with delorme or spot and add the sos/messaging function to their devices.

This ^^ . I really need to add an inreach to my set up, I need to shut the wife's complaining that she doesn't hear from me enough . And the SOS features are a no brainier, however I hate having to think about carting another unit.
Right now it's my phone, my GPS and external battery pack...that's too much already.

A duel unit would be the cats ass.

My Inreach has REALLLLLLY come in handy. Slow to text but can be paired with a smart device for more normal texting. Kind of slow to send and receive messages also, but it's become a staple piece in my pack.

The peace of mind it offers is hard to describe.