Tipi Tent in Severe Weather

Stid2677

WKR
Few things I have learned, Tipi's are good at shedding wind and snow, provided they stay taught. I use only MSR Cyclone stakes, and I pack enough to double stake if I'm going to places like Kodiak or known windy places. A heavy rock placed between the double stakes improves holding power. Always place something under the main pole to prevent it from auguring into the ground and causing the tipi to go slack, slack will cause flapping that will pull stakes. Always use caution to secure the zippered doors, I like snap clips as I have had them come untied even after I tied them into a crazy knot. If the door comes open wind will blow it up. Pack your gear into bags during a big blow, if the tipi fails you don't want your gear blown into the next country. Remove the stove pipe and secure the pipe hole, the pipe as mentioned will get beat back and forth and can cause damage. These screw in stakes work well too.

Amazon.com : Orange Screw: The Ultimate Ground Anchor, SMALL - 4 Pack : Sports & Outdoors

Two Ifs:

If you can keep all your stakes solidly in the ground...

If your center pole stays tight and doesn't break...

Meet those two requirements and a tipi is as good as it gets. Cyclone stakes are far better than anything else I know. In loose soil or spongy conditions they can still back out if wind keeps tugging at them. If possible, placing a good 5-10 lb stone over a stake is a good way to alleviate the gradual backing out that can happen. I do this routinely after enduring one hell of a monster storm system lasting many days in 2015. I also go with Cyclone stakes now. If you have guy-outs...use them and maintain them. Keeping the exterior skin taut is the best way to shed wind, rain and snow while reducing flapping and fabric stress. Adjust the center pole every day or two if the tipi develops a little slack or sag. Some guys think it's one-and-done but those poles are adjustable for a reason.

There's not much you can do to prevent a center pole blow-up. I know a guy or two who had it happen in big storms. I will only say you should use the stoutest pole reasonable for its weight. I personally don't trust carbon fiber poles (even though fascinated at the weight savings) and will stay with my aluminum one. In that 2015 storm I used 3 of my arrows and bound them...using paracord...to the middle of the center pole which was flexing hard and worrying me. That braced the pole nicely and all was good.

I also sent my Sawtooth to a guy (Bearpaw) for installation of a sod flap. I weight the sod flap with rocks or moss or anything and it keeps wind from getting under the tipi edge, further reducing flap and fabric stress.

WKR
Yeah, it's very interesting. And it's free because of the age of the book. You can download it here:

The author was the guy that the Discovery Channel show, Klondike, focused on.
Appreciate the link!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk