To AI or not to AI? That is the question.

I own a Forbes 24B in 280 Remington with a 24" barrel. I am a reloader and have been stocking brass over the years but finding it harder to find. I have also have read some articles that state 280 AI brass lasting longer over regular 280 Remington brass.

Another reason I am considering this change is the availability of 280 AI loaded ammunition compared to regular 280 Remington. When I pass this rifle on to my son (not a reloader) will he find it hard to find ammunition in the future?

Anyhow was wondering if there was anyone that has made the switch and found it beneficial? Or not so much.

Blessings~

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think the trend is to go with the 280ai by my observation. Ammo pops up but isn’t as common as others. A buddy would have bought 280 or 280ai ammo. He found 280ai on the internet first.

Yes, it should last longer in theory. Cases that are not as tapered in the body and neck can last longer because the taper cause brass to flow faster toward the neck and mouth. That leads to neck length trimming, donuts, and case separation coming faster for non-AI, if the primer pockets last.

But, how much it matters???

AI cases have less body taper and a more square shoulder. It makes them more efficient and easier to load for IMO.

Based on the reasoning you provided, I don’t see much of a downside.
With a AI, you can still shoot standard ammo, you will just give up a performance.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
We have a factory 280 ai and my kids are using a rebarreled 260 ai. I dont see a downside in particular with factor saami 280 ai brass available.

Ive not fired 280 rem through my ackley, but the 260 rem fire-forming loads in the other ackley were well under half an inch. And, while they indeed give up a little performance to the ackley version, they're not giving up anything over the standard rem chambers.

Wrench

WKR
The 280 is one of the better responses to improving. Were it a 270....I'd say pass.

Vern400

WKR
It's likely you can have your barrel rechambered to 280 AI. It's also likely 280 AI might ultimately replace 280 Remington. It never was all that popular. The AI seems to be coming on pretty strong

It sounds like your son is going to get a free rifle. It also sounds like an opportunity to let him make the decision and own the associated trouble. If he doesn't take the initiative, the rifle's going to be a Safe Queen anyway.

xsn10s

WKR
I'd check on the cost of having a barrel rechambered or new barrel installed at Wilson Combat. It being a NULA I wouldn't consider having any other smiths doing the job.

Wrench

WKR
Anyone with a lathe and experience can set back a 280 to ai. It's as easy as pulling a single thread pitch from all rear facing edges and reaming.