To all the experts

ahlgringo

WKR
Just got back from 3rd season. Especially quiet one, been hunting it for last decade and never seen it so barren. It’s a migration corridor and it was super hot and dry. Anyway, came across this print- need some help identifying. Track is about 3 1/2 inches wide, claw marks clearly evident. North Central CO
f61ac0415c52c9323bcd7aca9d217e3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1/2 inches is small for a wolf but big for a coyote. I think wolf but it’s not certain.

That lack of elk might suggest wolf.

Stories like this are going to become common in Colorado elk Connors are going to free to other states. The wolf situation in Colorado is going to cause a mess throughout the elk world. Fkn wolf huggers! Here’s the only solution!

IMG_1550.jpeg

I saw very simular tracks in California this year in a wilderness area. If you're in the west, odds are they are around at least from time to time.

wyogoat

WKR
Based on the NC central Colorado area def wolf. There have been some confirmed wolf kills just north of the border into Wyoming the last couple years.

Jaquomo

WKR
But hunting will NEVER solve the problem. Trapping is more effective. One thing is for sure…. if you want to try to save your elk and deer do NOT pass up any opportunity to do what’s right.

View attachment 628808
Unfortunately, the same fine folks who voted for wolves and voted to se wrely restrict bear hunting, also voted to outlaw trapping in CO.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Belongs to this guy not good news for ungulates👎

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
A

ahlgringo

WKR
"Super hot and dry" and there's snow on the ground. :unsure:

We were in Central CO earlier this week and we saw more elk in one morning than I've ever seen, even in a season of rifle hunting.

Definitely a wolf track.
Ha, I was wondering if you would call me on that. Since you were up there- if you recall- we had very hot and dry conditions the entire season- with the exception of Thursday. Thursday it started snowing hard early am and was done by about 1 pm. It snowed about 3-4" in total which was almost completely gone but the evening. I was hunkered under a big pine for some of the storm, circled around a couple miles and came back only to see those tracks going under that same tree.

I was pretty sure that was wolf, but I was hoping it wasn't. Been hunting this area for over a decade, never seen any sign of em, nor has anyone else I have spoken with.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from 3rd season. Especially quiet one, been hunting it for last decade and never seen it so barren. It’s a migration corridor and it was super hot and dry. Anyway, came across this print- need some help identifying. Track is about 3 1/2 inches wide, claw marks clearly evident. North Central CO
f61ac0415c52c9323bcd7aca9d217e3d.jpg

Next time you take a photo like this, put your hand next to it for context... there's basically no way to tell based on your photo.

Next time you take a photo like this, put your hand next to it for context... there's basically no way to tell based on your photo.
Well he did give an exact measurement so basically you can tell with some experience.

Hands vary in size.

amassi

WKR
I saw very simular tracks in California this year in a wilderness area. If you're in the west, odds are they are around at least from time to time.

Same north east California

X4 also, none wilderness