Trail cam detection distance

JPD350

WKR
I am fixing to pick up a couple new cameras but would like to have a really good detection distance.

I am curious as to the real world actual detection distance of your trail cameras, 10 - 15 yds? anyone have any solid 20 or 30yd cameras?

My experience has been that quite a few cameras barely detect movement at 10 to 15 yds and thats not good enough for most of the areas I need them for.

corncob

WKR
The Brownings I use have pretty good range. Never measured anything out, but I've set them on one edge of a clearing (probably 30-40 yards wide) expecting to not capture anything crossing the other side. And to my surprise, I've got multiple pictures of animals skirting that edge. Now, who knows if it missed some - quite possible!

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Thanks for your replies, I decided to go with a couple of the less expensive Browning cameras, Strike force HD Pro - BTC 5HD PX, they seem to have a solid detection of 30 yds.

Hobbes330

FNG
What did you end up going with? I’ve had good luck with browning cameras, their motion detection seems to fade the older they get though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
What did you end up going with? I’ve had good luck with browning cameras, their motion detection seems to fade the older they get though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike force HD Pro - BTC 5HD PX

I just came back from checking the cameras after 2 months in the field. I am very happy with almost everything about the camera, super fast and lots of configurations for setting them up, detection is just okay at 20 to 25 yds.
What I don't like is the tilt mechanism on the back, if a bear gets ahold of the top of the camera he will break it for sure or move it and change where the camera is pointed, it should have a latch on the top with 2 or 3 secure tilt settings. I'd like to see a test done of how much it would take to break the tilt, it makes a perfect handle for a bear to hang on
There isn't a way to lock the door to the controls, the only way to keep people from taking the card is to buy a metal lockbox which I did buy and install.
And the camera camo has already turned to a faded blueish color.