Trailmax Panniers-Sale

G-Hought

FNG
Any of you guys know of a store that might have a sale at some point with the trail max saddle panniers? I was watching a couple places over the holidays but didn’t ever see any sales come up. Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and pay full price or keep waiting.
Thanks!

X2 on mountain ridge gear, specifically the pack lite panniers.

Trail Max stuff is light duty use. Works well on major trails but if your going off trail to pack our quarters they rip pretty fast if snagged on something.

Wrongside

WKR
Take a look at Mountain ridge gear. His stuff is quality and very well thought out. I am not a fan of my trailmax panniers over a saddle especially with heavy meat loads. Much prefer the MRG gear

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for mentioning this. We need to replace some miled out Trailmax setups. I think I'll order a set of his XLs. They look really good.

OP
G-Hought

G-Hought

FNG
Take a look at Mountain ridge gear. His stuff is quality and very well thought out. I am not a fan of my trailmax panniers over a saddle especially with heavy meat loads. Much prefer the MRG gear

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The only option that I liked about the trail max was the ability to have the hard insert. Maybe that’s not as useful as it seems it would be? Not having used them before I thought that might be a “nice to have” feature.

mntnguide

WKR
The only option that I liked about the trail max was the ability to have the hard insert. Maybe that’s not as useful as it seems it would be? Not having used them before I thought that might be a “nice to have” feature.
Ive never used it. . I have actual bearproof hard panniers for pack saddles that i use all the time, only time i would use the trailmax pannier was for hauling meat on my riding saddle. . but now i just use the MRG Pack lite panniers for that. Trail max works fine depending on what your uses for it are, I just thought I would throw out MRG for you to look at, because his quality and how the straps etc are located, are much higher quality than Trail max

The high country plastics insert is a "nice" for sure. I took my MRG pack lites to walmart and found a medium-heavy duty rubbermaid container slipped right in nicely. Cost me about $15 per set. I've got about 5 years on those rubbermaid containers and still holding up

I believe the high country inserts fit one of the models of the MRG panniers as well since he used to carry those on his website.

OP
G-Hought

G-Hought

FNG
Thanks @mntnguide and @burrohiker that is some super helpful feedback! I’ve been looking at the MRG’s this morning and I’m definitely going to go with pack lites or their standard panniers and just buy a plastic insert separate.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
That trailmax stuff is garbage. Mountain ridge gear is really good. Also smith and Edwards has bear cloth panniers if you're into that sort of thing. It's your money but that trailmax stuff is junk