Trapping question

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
New to trapping, after coyotes. First trap, night one got a possum. Pan tension too light?
How do I keep them out of my traps? Brother wants to keep them to eat snakes on his property.

Thanks

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Get use to catching cats, opossums, racoons, and skunks. They are normal by catch when canine trapping. Some times you have to clear the junk before you get to the good stuff.

Having multiple sets in a small area can combat this. When one has a non-target species the others are still working.

Tight chains!

WCB

WKR
Get use to catching cats, opossums, racoons, and skunks. They are normal by catch when canine trapping. Some times you have to clear the junk before you get to the good stuff.

Having multiple sets in a small area can combat this. When one has a non-target species the others are still working.

Tight chains!
Yep if it is good enough for 1 trap it is good enough for two and maybe 3. Sets for the most part only get better after you catch a non target animal IMO. Pan tension is probably just fine I've caught lots of possums. Avoiding pan travel is IMO more important.

bairdi

FNG
To help reduce pan travel look up some you tube videos on how to night-latch your pans. Think of it as having a nice clean breaking trigger on a rifle verse on that has a bunch of travel to take up before it will break and fire. I think it definitely helps and you can still adjust pan tension.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks Gents-I am using Bridger dogless 2's and 3's which have a night latch. I appreciate the info. I read on another forum that the possum secretes a stench when caught/playing dead and it will ruin the set for K-9's. Any truth to this that you know of?

WCB

WKR
Thanks Gents-I am using Bridger dogless 2's and 3's which have a night latch. I appreciate the info. I read on another forum that the possum secretes a stench when caught/playing dead and it will ruin the set for K-9's. Any truth to this that you know of?
I have not noticed it...I have caught a double Possum catch and a couple days later caught a Yote in one of those traps. You might move the trap a little in some scenarios (more so when a coon or badger tears the trap site apart) but again I haven't noticed a negative effect.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
This sort of situation can create a lot of debate in the trapping community. My logic is that if the trap and the entire catch circle smells like a opossum, how can the canine tell the trap is there? The whole set up just smells like a opossum was there. No issue in my opinion. I would remake the set with the same trap or a new, clean trap.

However, If you create a set in a new location, with the trap that already caught a opossum, and you did not clean the trap. Then I would say that is an issue.

I would put a fresh set in 10 or 12 feet away from the opossum set, which I would also remake.

WCB

WKR
This sort of situation can create a lot of debate in the trapping community. My logic is that if the trap and the entire catch circle smells like a opossum, how can the canine tell the trap is there? The whole set up just smells like a opossum was there. No issue in my opinion. I would remake the set with the same trap or a new, clean trap.

However, If you create a set in a new location, with the trap that already caught a opossum, and you did not clean the trap. Then I would say that is an issue.

I would put a fresh set in 10 or 12 feet away from the opossum set, which I would also remake.
I agree 100% with this...new set sew trap. remake usually same trap but won't hurt to put a new trap downont he same set. Same with catching a skunk, fox or any other stinky animals. Skunk will straight up make dogs, coyotes, humans vomit if sprayed with a direct hit. But it will dissipate in short while and IMO that set is WAY better than a fresh set.

HuntWyo

FNG
I set my line the beginning of November and don’t move a trap until the end of season. The only exception being if I have a set get trashed by a badger or something like that. The least amount of interaction with your line the better. No matter what you do your going to catch non target animals that’s just trapping. Just let them go and reset no need for a new trap unless it’s malfunctioning. You want that scent from other animals to cover your scent and any residual scent on your traps from resetting. Coyotes are scavenger they will raid other animals nest/dens for food just like a person imitates with a dirt hole set! Keep it simple and you’ll be successful, good luck!

Use more urine post or gland based sets and less bait sets. I've switched to almost solely scent post sets and rub sets for all k9s and cats. My coon opossum and skunk numbers have dropped nearly 80% since I started using these sets over dirt holes or other sets with bait.