Trekking poles advice

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I think cork handles would be fine, and the Flick Lock system is the best in my opinion. Far better than the twist lock poles. Think you can do better on price though. Check out your local REI, they carry BD poles, Leki, and others.

Just noticed those are carbon poles, thus the price. I have no miles using carbon fiber.

Brent

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a lot of miles on mine, but I love my cork handles so far.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Been using those for a few years, picked them up when BD was having a sale. They've worked great for me and over time the cork kind of molds to your hand. Light weight, pack small & they have survived a few rough tumbles. Great set of poles

DanB

FNG
I recently purchased a set of cascade mountain tech trekking poles from costco and have liked them so far. They weigh 1lbs together and extend up to something like 5'4". I'm sure there are better ones out there like Black Diamond, but I oculdn't pass up the 29.00 price tag for light weight poles.

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/product_p/1010.htm

Cork should hold up fine I'd imagine. I'm just thinking of the cork fly rod handles that I've abused over the years and how well they've held up. As long as you don't get a marmot or rodent to chew them up, they should hold up just fine. I checked out those poles at the local REI the other day and they look like solid poles that would work well.

Kotaman

WKR
I bought a set of those last year after breaking my old BD poles on a sheep hunt in a shale slide. So far so good with the cork and carbon. I have been told by guides in the past that rodents can be hard on the cork so watch where you lay them. Mine will get a good workout the next couple years.

I bought mine in 2010 and have used them hard for the last four years. Multiple sheep and goat hunts, and every single hike I've been on since then (i've also use them, as support for some of my shelters). As you can see, other then a little dirt on the cork, they are just like the day I bought them. I've only had a couple other pairs of trekking poles, but as long as these don't break, these will be the only trekking poles I'll use until they do fail, then I'll probably just buy another pair. I also love the feel of cork, it kind of reminds me of holding a flyrod.:)
aze9yqat.jpg

a4ezu7ep.jpg

Rolo

FNG
The only problem I have with the BDs is the length. Had to go with the Eastons, which have a foam grip, and not as nice as the cork IMO.

Speaking of which...if anyone needs a very lightly used set of BD carbons, let me know. ;)

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
The only problem I have with the BDs is the length. Had to go with the Eastons, which have a foam grip, and not as nice as the cork IMO.

Speaking of which...if anyone needs a very lightly used set of BD carbons, let me know. ;)

PM sent

husky390

WKR
I have the BD Trail which is a cheaper version of the model you bought and they're great. I had to use them to get me out of a canyon due to a knee issue. I was putting my full weight on them to climb out and they never once slipped or needed adjusting. I don't think I could have climbed out of there without them.

JPD350

WKR
I have had the BD Alpine cork poles for a couple years and I like everything about them.