Trophy transport

How do I get my mule deer home safely to get mounted. This is my first western hunt for pronghorn/mule deer. We are driving our truck out and back so I an looking for any advice on transporting meat and head if I decide to want it mounted

Cooler for the hide, have the head fully skinned out, try to get it frozen before you leave, then keep it frozen, some states require all brain matter to be removed from skull, some even require the skull to be capped. As far as meat do what you can to get it frozen to otherwise ice and keep
It out of water. With pronghorn get them on ice as quickly as possible the quicker you get them cold the better they taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
Find a likely taxidermist now. Ask them what they prefer/like to have done before it comes in their door. Simple things like taking basic measurements before skinning the skull will help the taxidermist. Better to know what you are getting into than having to pay the taxidermist to fix your (avoidable) mistakes. A skull with antlers takes up a lot of space - have a way to protect them from damage/dings/chips.

I found this to be a good basic instructional video. If you've never done it you might be able to "practice" if you can find a good road-kill this time of year.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
Good advice above. Many states, maybe most states now, make it illegal to bring brain and spinal column matter from cervids in from out of state. If that's the case for you then your taxi won't accept a head. Cape out the head and cap the skull and you will be fine. The outfitter or guide should do this for you or you can watch videos and do it yourself. It's not really that hard but you will want a saw that will cut bone easily. All things considered, it makes trophy transport on the trip home a lot easier. A head with a big rack takes a big cooler, a cape doesn't. With an elk or caribou there would be no other choice.

If you just want a European mount you can remove the hide from the skull and remove the brain matter out the small hole where the spinal cord enters. A quick way to do this is with compressed air and a tube that goes in the hole. One quick shot of air and it's done. A bit messy but fast. If I was traveling out of state I might try a car wash. Maybe others have more experience and will chime in.

WCB

WKR
Contact a taxidermist in the area and ask what they charge to cape and cap your deer or antelope. My dad paid like $75 in Kansas last year and the taxi kept it in his freezer until my dad was scheduled to leave. I think it would have been $50 to just cape out the face and cape it and dispose of the brains/skull and $25 for like 4 days keeping in his freezer.

Otherwise if you can do it yourself...get the skin off the face and cap the horns. Let the kid cool in the shade or just lay it open across some ice in a cooler. once Cool fold it up put in plastic bag and keep in a cooler with ice. I have kept a Pronghorn cape like this for 5 days in a cooler no issues and deer maybe a day or so longer. Key is to let it cool before folding and bagging. Then burry it in the ice and don't let it get wet.