Ultra-lite bullet sizing pressure ?

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my ultra lite , Pittman aeromax 300 grain bullets and a hanks precision smooth bullet sizer . When sizing the bullets, what takes very little pressure for the majority of the barrel takes a very significant amount of pressure the last two inches of the barrel. Even sizing to where they will just free fall they stop 2 inches short of the breech and then take a good amount of pressure to make it all the way through.

Does my barrel deviate in diameter or is this normal ? First time sizing bullets but familiar with muzzleloaders. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel prior to trying as it was very dirty from factory.

Hoping it is something dumb or something I am not aware of!

Thanks for any advice

Sounds like a bore variation (flaw). Not uncommon in factory barrels and not unheard of in custom barrels. I recently worked with a McGowen .45 on a custom muzzleloader that had a tight area in the muzzle section that I was able to lap out for bullet-to-bore shooting. I would try lapping that area with JB Bore compound. Have you looked at the bore with a bore scope?

Try lapping it good. Sizing the bullets down a little more and knurling them back up may help as well after lapping.

OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a bore variation (flaw). Not uncommon in factory barrels and not unheard of in custom barrels. I recently worked with a McGowen .45 on a custom muzzleloader that had a tight area in the muzzle section that I was able to lap out for bullet-to-bore shooting. I would try lapping that area with JB Bore compound. Have you looked at the bore with a bore scope?

Try lapping it good. Sizing the bullets down a little more and knurling them back up may help as well after lapping.

I’m guessing you are right . Super unfortunate . I spent $1200.00 on this muzzy to not have to worry about this stuff. I reached out to Knight, hoping they will swap the barrel for me. I’m guessing if I tried to lap the area, I would void warranty

eltaco

WKR
Been down this road before, though not with Knight in particular.

As another option, it may be worth checking out Fury Universal for bullets. Far less sensitive to this sort of issue, and I’ve had extremely positive results with them down range.

OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Been down this road before, though not with Knight in particular.

As another option, it may be worth checking out Fury Universal for bullets. Far less sensitive to this sort of issue, and I’ve had extremely positive results with them down range.

Appreciate the heads up !id be willing to try although this muzzy is a .45 and that doesn’t look like an option for those !

If I were in Oregon where they are illegal I’d think hard about it . As it is , Knight is going to swap me out for a new barrel
Sounds like they’re doing you right. Let us know if the second barrel works for bullet to bore. Good luck!