Update on 40 mile air herd

Sakohunter264

Lil-Rokslider
good afternoon. Am trying to gauge the condition of the 40 mile air caribou herd before choosing to book a hunt for the 2024 calendar year. It will be a fly-in hunt for sure, if you have any good stats or observations you can share it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AKBorn

WKR
Try to connect with VernAK on this forum, he keeps up with the condition of this and other herds in the AK interior. My group went 3 for 3 on a fly-in hunt this year, story is in this subforum (My Last Remote AK Hunt is the title). I think some other groups may have had tough weather to hunt in, we spent more time in the tent this year than in any of my past hunts in the 40 Mile area (been hunting that part of Alaska since 2006).

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The fall hunt opener along the Steese Hwy produced an above quota scenario as the herd was congested in large numbers near the road. That over harvest quota scenario has now limited "zone" openers along the Steese Hwy and White Mountains winter hunts. These actions are to limit addional over harvest scenarios for the Fortymile Herd.

What next year's allocations will be is not yet determined. I'd stay tuned in to ADFG online:

And watch for BOG spring decisions to post:

Lastly stay in touch with your pilot who should also be tuned in.

VernAK

WKR
ADFG captured and weighed 20+ calves in early October. Calf weights were up significantly to the area of 114# average. Highest it's been is about 118# but recent years it hovered much closer to 100#. Hunters also reported harvested caribou were in good condition with lotsa fat. The healthier calves have a much better winter survival rate and more stamina for escaping predators. Herd size is thought to be 35K, Let's hope for a moderate winter as predicted for an El Nino year.

There is a proposal before the Board of Game [March meeting] to restrict non-residents in all but zone 2. That would be interior fly-in hunts. I'm not sure where that will go. I would also expect some proposal to reduce crowding in early season along the Steese Highway.

There is a proposal before the Board of Game [March meeting] to restrict non-residents in all but zone 2. That would be interior fly-in hunts. I'm not sure where that will go. I would also expect some proposal to reduce crowding in early season along the Steese Highway.
Vern, can you please elaborate on this a little more about what you've heard?

-Mike

Rhak put a proposal in to not allow non res to hunt in the road accessible zones. After they talked with transporters rhak decided to throw them a bone and propose non res can continue to hunt the fly in zones.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Try the Alaska Fish and Game website, specifically the Board of Game section.
I must be either blind or dumb... (or a combo of both, lol). I can't find anything, except that they are having a discussion on Nelchina unit caribou. Guess ill deal with it when/if it comes up.

bowuntr

WKR
A legit concern... I had the same question this year. If they lower the quotas and the caribou aren't in zone 2 it could stop your hunt. Talk to your transporter, they should be able to help you. Ed F

VernAK

WKR
There will be some caribou in Zone 2 as they are not all in one massive herd. I've hunted one area exclusively for years and even though it may not where the bulk of the herd is, it's always produced nice bulls for us.

The herd size is thought to be about 35K at this time but let's see what the winter does.

The Great Steese Shoot Out is most likely a thing of the past.