Upgrading from Meindls

Perrin713

FNG
I’ve have a pair of Meindl boots I bought from Cabelas roughly 4-5yrs. They’ve been great boots other than my toes kill me at the end of the day. Mostly due to descending down mountains. I wear lightweight merino socks with liners. Needless to say I’m tired of the bottom of my toes killing me and looking to upgrade boots.
I’ve looked into Schnees but their are a lot of claims regarding their waterproofness. I’m open to suggestions.Thanks!

Jimss

WKR
You have lots to look forward to with new comfortable boots! Do you think you need wider boots? If so, Lowa offers wide sizes in most of their models. If you can afford Crispi's they also are relatively wide in most models. I would likely recommend gutting the insoles that come with new boots and replace them with ones that are comfortable for your particular feet. My feet need extra padding in the soles. I've had great luck with Spencos that have the most padding and replace them twice a year. I would also recommend socks with additional padding in the bottoms.

If you have a chance try on a pair of Crispi Nevadas. They are about the most comfortable boots I have warn. Crispi Dakotas are similar and a little less expensive. I would also suggest Lowa Caminos, Tibets, and Vantage.

Hondo

WKR
Which Cabela's Meindl boots do you have and did you use the insole they came with or something else?

I recently went through a Homer’s Odyssey of a boot search. My two main fit issues were either the boot allowed my toes to slide forward into the front of the boot or I had too much movement on my heel. I tried on 30-40 boots.

It was the Meindl Comfort Fit hikers that became the only boot that didn’t have either of these issues. The Vakuum Hunters and Vakuum Hikers both had the toe issue. I guess what I’m saying is that it is not the brand, it is the fit of a boot with your specific foot.

Firestone

WKR
I have been wearing kenetrek and crispis pretty much everyday for years now. Between the two i have had 8 or 9 models and Crispi nevadas are currently my favorite. They used to make a boot called the kanada that was awesome to, they must have discontinued it though.

wildcat33

WKR
With your toes hitting the front, you might consider sizing up. Or is it your foot is sliding around? Can play around with insoles to adjust fit with a larger size boot. Ive used a bunch and liking the Dr. Scholls athletic series with the gel inserts.

Schnee's makes great boots. I wouldn't take them out of consideration based on a few bad reviews, it happens with all boots. You'll get plenty of suggestions on brands. My suggestion is to measure your feet, make a short list, order some boots, try them at home (or at a store preferably) and see what feels good.

i would try ditching the liners and going with thicker socks. sounds like your feet are sliding and slamming your toes. i gave up on liners. always made my foot slide and feet feel clammy.i know in theory there supposed to wick away moisture but a good pair of wool socks do the same for me and no sliding inside the boot.