UT elk points

I'm struggling to decide if I should continue down the Utah limited entry elk (and deer) worm hole. I currently have 9 points for elk (9 pts for deer too); am I just donating to the cause or do you think there is any future chance at being able to draw? Based on what I understand of the statistics, I'm just donating to the cause with no end in sight.
Thanks.

Westhunt

FNG
What units, weapon, and quality have been looking at? There are the well known units that routinely produce giant bulls. There are other units that have great quality for less points

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
D
What units, weapon, and quality have been looking at? There are the well known units that routinely produce giant bulls. There are other units that have great quality for less points

No specific unit or weapon in mind; would do either archery or rifle. Realistically 280-300" would be fine. I would use a guide/outfitter.

Westhunt

FNG
No specific unit or weapon in mind; would do either archery or rifle. Realistically 280-300" would be fine. I would use a guide/outfitter.
A lot of the LE units don't really need a guide. A guide definitely helps though. Your odds of drawing are much better with archery or muzzleloader. It really depends on what kind of quality you are after. IMO, there are some hunts that aren't worth 5 points and some that aren't worth 25 points. If you want to talk specific units, I'd be happy to DM.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of the LE units don't really need a guide. A guide definitely helps though. Your odds of drawing are much better with archery or muzzleloader. It really depends on what kind of quality you are after. IMO, there are some hunts that aren't worth 5 points and some that aren't worth 25 points. If you want to talk specific units, I'd be happy to DM.

I'll disagree here. With the tag splits most units have less non-resident archery and muzzleloader tags. Without max points you are competing for a single random tag which definitely lowers odds vs hunt options offering multiple tags.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm struggling to decide if I should continue down the Utah limited entry elk (and deer) worm hole. I currently have 9 points for elk (9 pts for deer too); am I just donating to the cause or do you think there is any future chance at being able to draw? Based on what I understand of the statistics, I'm just donating to the cause with no end in sight.
Thanks.
Utah is a hybrid system which means you can draw at any point level if you get lucky.

If your asking if you'll ever have enough points to be in the max point pool - No you simply started to late in the game.

I often tell this story but my brother in law started putting in for the Manti unit (managed as an opportunity unit) and it took 4 nonresident points to draw. Now he has twenty points and is still atlest 3 points (estimating 23 points to be part of max point pool)behind drawing an any weapons tag there. So two decades later and still has hardly moved in the line.

Westhunt

FNG
Utah is a hybrid system which means you can draw at any point level if you get lucky.

If your asking if you'll ever have enough points to be in the max point pool - No you simply started to late in the game.

I often tell this story but my brother in law started putting in for the Manti unit (managed as an opportunity unit) and it took 4 nonresident points to draw. Now he has twenty points and is still atlest 3 points (estimating 23 points to be part of max point pool)behind drawing an any weapons tag there. So two decades later and still has hardly moved in the line.

I guess it's time to move to Utah for a couple years and cash in those points as a resident.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
At 9 points, you will literally never catch up to even the lowest quality preference LE tags. You'll just be hoping for the random/bonus side of the tags (the 50.1% side of the LE draw).

If you enjoy traveling to Utah for General Deer and/or cow tags, I would keep going. If you're an NR just chasing the LE tags, bowing out at 9 points probably is the smart money move. Alot of guys stay in to support that state's wildlife agency. Respectable for sure - but often not a smart money move when analyzed from only a financial perspective.

The preference side (49.9%) of Utah's LE system is completely saturated/broken. Anyone's guess how many years until UDWR realizes that and converts to a BP/BP-exponent system. You might die first.

Last edited:
OP
D

Thanks…this is what I am figuring…that I am too late for getting anywhere. Not expecting a top unit, but doesn’t seem like I’d be getting anywhere by continuing to build points.

I guess it's time to move to Utah for a couple years and cash in those points as a resident.

You dont get much for 9 points as a resident. Take the cost of moving and buy a landowner tag somewhere.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
UDWR is going to have to come to terms with their mistake in allowing NRs to build species for all points. But residents only for 1 species.

There are going to be some guys moving in to the state that will have a distinct - and unfair- advantage due to those $15 points.

UDWR is going to have to come to terms with their mistake in allowing NRs to build species for all points. But residents only for 1 species.

There are going to be some guys moving in to the state that will have a distinct - and unfair- advantage due to those $15 points.
I doubt it. There will never be a significant number of people that move to UT just to burn points. Especially with max points. Plus, the DWR doesn't care.

I'd give up. I'm a resident and I'm considering giving up.

General season is my jam living here.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt it. There will never be a significant number of people that move to UT just to burn points. Especially with max points. Plus, the DWR doesn't care.

A few will.

My son is going to grad school in Utah next year (thus, a "resident"). If he has time, I'm hoping we will burn all his LE deer, LE elk and LE pronghorn points while he is there. He will have 3 quality hunts in a row - and a similarly situated resident his age could only have a third of that.

Assuming he leaves Utah after grad school, he will then return to accumulating all species points again. Who knows, maybe later retire to Utah and clean house again - at the expense of the residents that had to choose one species to accumulate.

It's an odd design. Unfortunate for Utah residents.

A few will.

My son is going to grad school in Utah next year (thus, a "resident"). If he has time, I'm hoping we will burn all his LE deer, LE elk and LE pronghorn points while he is there. He will have 3 quality hunts in a row - and a similarly situated resident his age could only have a third of that.

Assuming he leaves Utah after grad school, he will then return to accumulating all species points again. Who knows, maybe later retire to Utah and clean house again - at the expense of the residents that had to choose one species to accumulate.

It's an odd design. Unfortunate for Utah residents.
So you agree with my point.

Elknut53

FNG
It's totally a personal decision. Utah odds are steep for non residents but there is always a slim chance you'll get lucky. If you bail now someone will get the tag. I drew a non resident archery elk tag in Nevada in arguably their best unit with 12 points in 2021. I'm sure glad I didn't give up putting in despite the miniscule odds of drawing. Just my 2 cents