Warm water maceration & bleaching/whitening

Hey guys. My son shot a small buck this year (his first deer) and I have been wanting to try maceration to clean the skull. I purchased the aquarium heater, skinned the head, removed the brains and eyes and have had it in the bucket for a week. Took it out today and it is getting close to done (one of the worst smelling things ever!). I sprayed it off with a hose, changed the water and put it back in with a little bit of dish soap for degreasing. I have never done a euro mount before so am just going off of online videos.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How long will this skull stink for (it's bad)? Anything I can do to help the smell go away?
2. I would like to whiten it. Looks like some people use bleach and some people use that Salon 40 peroxide. Just wondering if these are my two best options and would like any tips anyone has for making this look like a professional job. All the nasal bones and everything are still in tact and look really nice as of right now. I am also wondering about the bones around the ear - do I just break those out from the skull? I have several euro mounts at home that I can look at as an example - they don't have those ear bones in them.

Thanks for the help!

Antares

WKR
I would say you’re nowhere near done. Macerating takes time. You switched to degreasing too soon. Maceration is complete when the water stays clear, all tissue is gone, and it doesn’t stink bad anymore. Then switch to degreasing and degrease for longer than you think you need to. Don’t use bleach. Do use peroxide. After proper maceration, degreasing, whitening, drying, and sealing, there should be no smell.

I macerate for a month or longer. Changing water twice a week. Aquarium heater set at 100F. Change water frequently, you want aerobic not anaerobic bacteria. Wear gloves.

Yeah it's gonna be a while. My buddy did an Aoudad for me and I think it rotted for something like 6 weeks. If you want fast you gotta boil (simmer) it.

OP
180splitg3
I would say you’re nowhere near done. Macerating takes time. You switched to degreasing too soon. Maceration is complete when the water stays clear, all tissue is gone, and it doesn’t stink bad anymore. Then switch to degreasing and degrease for longer than you think you need to. Don’t use bleach. Do use peroxide. After proper maceration, degreasing, whitening, drying, and sealing, there should be no smell.

I macerate for a month or longer. Changing water twice a week. Aquarium heater set at 100F. Change water frequently, you want aerobic not anaerobic bacteria. Wear gloves.
Thanks - there is virtually nothing left on the skull. Just one spot the size of a quarter on the back of the head - that's it. How long would you recommend degreasing? A week?

Antares

WKR
Depends how picky you are. If you want a museum/conservation grade specimen, degrease a long, long time. I don’t like grease spots showing up. You can immediately tell a skull someone didn’t take enough time with; looks like a paper bag full of fried chicken.

Depends on species, age, size, temp of your degreasing water, etc. For a young deer, I’d go a month with frequent changes of soapy water at 100F, less time if you can get to 120-130F.

OP
180splitg3
Depends how picky you are. If you want a museum/conservation grade specimen, degrease a long, long time. I don’t like grease spots showing up. You can immediately tell a skull someone didn’t take enough time with; looks like a paper bag full of fried chicken.

Depends on species, age, size, temp of your degreasing water, etc. For a young deer, I’d go a month with frequent changes of soapy water at 100F, less time if you can get to 120-130F.
What do you put in the water when you are going through the degreasing process?

bvan5768

FNG
Hey guys. My son shot a small buck this year (his first deer) and I have been wanting to try maceration to clean the skull. I purchased the aquarium heater, skinned the head, removed the brains and eyes and have had it in the bucket for a week. Took it out today and it is getting close to done (one of the worst smelling things ever!). I sprayed it off with a hose, changed the water and put it back in with a little bit of dish soap for degreasing. I have never done a euro mount before so am just going off of online videos.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How long will this skull stink for (it's bad)? Anything I can do to help the smell go away?
2. I would like to whiten it. Looks like some people use bleach and some people use that Salon 40 peroxide. Just wondering if these are my two best options and would like any tips anyone has for making this look like a professional job. All the nasal bones and everything are still in tact and look really nice as of right now. I am also wondering about the bones around the ear - do I just break those out from the skull? I have several euro mounts at home that I can look at as an example - they don't have those ear bones in them.

Thanks for the help!
Have never done the maceration, but for whitening I use 40 wt developer (cream) mixed with simple white powder. Both can be found at beauty supply store. Good luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using an aquarium heater and removing anything really cut off 10 days or so usually does it.
As for smell I leave it in the shed airing out for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If that is all that’s left on the head then you can start degreasing. You can probably remove most of that tissue pretty quick with a pairing knife as well. If it’s in a 5 gallon bucket for degreasing then a few cups of dawn will be fine. Add about 1/2-1 cup of industrial strength ammonia as well. Change the water when it’s murky. The degreasing shouldn’t take more than a week to maybe two at the most with a steady temp of 110-115 degrees. Do not go above that temp if you can help it. The smell will never completely go away if you just air it out. Don’t use bleach to whiten the skull. It will destroy the bone pretty quick. Use peroxide and the beauty salon stuff will work if you paint it on heavy. I used 35% peroxide diluted down and did a cold soak for about 30-36 hours. Washed it off good then soaked it in clean water to completely get the peroxide off. You can’t get 35% unless you fill out the paper work with a chemical supply company. I ordered it in 55 gallon barrels.