water blader and fitration system

3dxdjg

FNG
Have a new T1 bag that needs a water bladder and filtration system for 5 to 7 day hunts. I'm looking at (platypus, sawyer ) gravity systems and wondering if the clean water bags can be used as a bladder also? Also what is everyone else using?

Rocky

WKR
This last season I used the sawyer in line system with the platypus bladder. I'll i did was dip the bladder in the creek and then threw the filled bladder pack in my pack and continued up the mountain. Someone I was with saw how well it worked and decided to purchase one in the future.

I have a t1 and use a msr from lite 4 liter bladder with quick disconnects and use the platy big zip with the sawyer as my dirty bag. Works fine.

Ray

WKR
Big zip as the main dirty water bag with an inline filter and a 2 liter bottle bag for camp storage. The sawyer and platypus inline filters work well.

You don't need to get the platypus system. Save money by getting pieces and then cut the tube to install the filter.

Techbrute

FNG
I use Source Hydration bladders and Sawyer filters. They work together as if they were designed to.

When rolling lightweight, I use the Sawyer Squeeze with a QC adapter. It takes me less then 5 minutes to replenish my 3L bladder, without removing it from my pack. I just remove the mouthpiece, click the filter into it, and "toothpaste roll" the squeeze bag.

When I'm less mobile, I use the Sawyer 4L grey water bag and the Sawyer Inline filter to fill bladders and bottles at the water source, then tote it back to camp full, for an extra gallon while in camp.

When car camping, I use a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot installed that hooks into the Sawyer inline filter.

lintond

WKR
Big zip as the main dirty water bag with an inline filter and a 2 liter bottle bag for camp storage. The sawyer and platypus inline filters work well.

You don't need to get the platypus system. Save money by getting pieces and then cut the tube to install the filter.

This is exactly what I did last year. Might bring along another bladder for extra water at camp next year since I had to always inventory my water and ration it.

OP

3dxdjg

FNG
Thanks everyone. Was maybe wanting a 4L but purchased the Big Zip on sale at REI.

lintond

WKR
Thanks everyone. Was maybe wanting a 4L but purchased the Big Zip on sale at REI.

The big zip is easy to fill and seemed to be enough water for me each day, although I wouldn't have minded having more back at camp.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The big zip is easy to fill and seemed to be enough water for me each day, although I wouldn't have minded having more back at camp.

Depending on the trip and area we will be in we sometimes bring along a 6L dromlite. We keep it "clean" and gravity filter water into it from the "dirty" 3L big zips with sawyer filter inline. Sometimes it's nice to have camp water ready to go without waiting on a filter. On some mountain hunts we also fill it up before we climb the mountain, if we are worried there won't be water on top. Gives us the flexibility to have 6L of water per person for a minimal weight penalty.

Mike7

WKR
I did not like the Sawyer filter at first at all using as a squeeze filter. Then this year I ran the Platy big zip with Sawyer filter for my dirty bag setup and liked things better. But still found the system cumbersome and not ideal, particularly in freezing temps when I had to have the filter in my cargo pocket in ziploc bags. I don't really care for dipping the big zip and only getting it partially full and then also the bladder is covered with cold water that gets all over you if you plan on doing a quicker squeeze filter job instead of waiting for gravity. So, I used a 1 Liter Platypus bag with the top 1/3 or so cut off as a scoop per recommendations on this site in order to fill the dirty water bladder and this worked much better in my opinion.

But next year, I think I will finally have a system I can deal with all year long. Will see how it works...the plan is having my clean bladder as my old standby 4 L Hydromedary without quick connects at this point because I don't find it much of problem getting this out of my pack through the front side of the Timberline standard lid. But my dirty bladder is going to be a regular MSR dromedary 6-10 liter bag with a quick connect at the end of the tube that will attach to a Mini-Sawyer filter.

This will allow me to easily remove the Sawyer mini filter and put it into my cargo pocket in cold weather. I will also continue to bring my MSR bladder small black dispensing caps, so I can use these to drink straight from the clean bladder if the tube is freezing...and also this will allow me to drain my dirty bladder tube of water after each use if necessary. I will also be able to drink right from the end of the mini-Sawyer filter when attached to my dirty Dromedary. It all works in the house. Now to get out in the cold weather to try the new system.

lintond

WKR
Mike makes a good point about cold temps. The filter will freeze in cold weather. I put mine in a bag in my sleeping bag at night. Haven't used it during freezing daytime temps.

I'm not a fan of the Sawyer depending where you are hunting. I've gone back to hand pumps.

If your water source is a shallow creek it is really hard to fill up the bladder without getting a lot of silt in the "dirty" bladder. Then you have to find a suitable tree to hang the whole system to.

My last time using it was on a winter backpacking trip. My water source was terrible, I ended up having to use my mug to scoop water into my "dirty" bladder. Freezing hands and taking 2x as longer to finally finish left me not impressed. I've gone back to my Katadyn Pocket filter.

It may be a couple ozs heavier but it ended up being the same size packed, after you add the extra bladder, syringe etc.

As for bladders: I've used Camelbak, MSR, Platypus, and Source.

I like MSR for their dromedary bags (camp water supply), Camelbak hoses/connectors and bite valves, but Source for my actual drinking bladders. I've found Camelbak leaves an unwanted taste and stains after awhile. Source connectors and bite valves suck IMHO, but the bladder is the easiest to clean.

I did not like the Sawyer filter at first at all using as a squeeze filter. Then this year I ran the Platy big zip with Sawyer filter for my dirty bag setup and liked things better. But still found the system cumbersome and not ideal, particularly in freezing temps when I had to have the filter in my cargo pocket in ziploc bags. I don't really care for dipping the big zip and only getting it partially full and then also the bladder is covered with cold water that gets all over you if you plan on doing a quicker squeeze filter job instead of waiting for gravity. So, I used a 1 Liter Platypus bag with the top 1/3 or so cut off as a scoop per recommendations on this site in order to fill the dirty water bladder and this worked much better in my opinion.

But next year, I think I will finally have a system I can deal with all year long. Will see how it works...the plan is having my clean bladder as my old standby 4 L Hydromedary without quick connects at this point because I don't find it much of problem getting this out of my pack through the front side of the Timberline standard lid. But my dirty bladder is going to be a regular MSR dromedary 6-10 liter bag with a quick connect at the end of the tube that will attach to a Mini-Sawyer filter.

This will allow me to easily remove the Sawyer mini filter and put it into my cargo pocket in cold weather. I will also continue to bring my MSR bladder small black dispensing caps, so I can use these to drink straight from the clean bladder if the tube is freezing...and also this will allow me to drain my dirty bladder tube of water after each use if necessary. I will also be able to drink right from the end of the mini-Sawyer filter when attached to my dirty Dromedary. It all works in the house. Now to get out in the cold weather to try the new system.

How are you going to do that? Since that 3 in 1 valve is so small I can't seem to find the right adaptor to come off the dromlite down to my sawyer filter.