Weatherby Mark V Hunter

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Well this is interesting news. The new Weatherby Mark V Hunter in standard chamberings along with the Weatherby one too. I've read posts on here from some wishing they'd offer standard chamberings in the Mark V action. Interesting as you can get a sub 6.3lb rifle in standard chamberings of 280 AI, 270 win, 7mm-08, 308, 243, 25-06, 30-06, 6.5CM. Magnum rounds are a pound heavier.

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-hunter/

I am sorry to see Weatherby going down market with the Mk V.

ETA: I am not sure what you mean by "standard" chamberings, but Weatherby already offers a variety of non-Weatherby designed chamberings in various Mk V models. I personally like the Weatherby cartridges, but I recognize that if you are not a hand loader, shooting them can be prohibitively expensive. My 7mm Weatherby Magnum rifle has never had a round of factory ammunition through it since I have owned it.

Last edited:
I got to handle one of these rifles yesterday. I have never really been a Weatherby fan, but this rifle is pretty darn nice. The one I handled was a .240 Wby, so it was the smaller 6 lug action which I really like. The ergonomics of the stock are really good and the action was smooth with a great trigger. The stock is all plastic, but felt rigid. This rifle is high on my list, but man would someone chamber for .280 Remington!

Bumping this to see if anyone picked one of these up yet? I have not been able to see one yet but seems like it could be a pretty awesome setup at a good price point. 22” barrels on a few models too which would be nice on some of those short action cartridges.

I picked mine up at my FFL last night. Haven’t seen any 240 wby ammo or brass so it could be awhile before it gets fired, but I am very impressed.

I picked mine up at my FFL last night. Haven’t seen any 240 wby ammo or brass so it could be awhile before it gets fired, but I am very impressed.
Have you gotten to shoot it any? I’m just starting to look at these in 240

I just got one in 280 ackley but I bought a peak 44 stock for it and it’s at the gunsmith getting bedded should have it back in a couple weeks and take it out to see how it does

I just got one in 280 ackley but I bought a peak 44 stock for it and it’s at the gunsmith getting bedded should have it back in a couple weeks and take it out to see how it does
Do you happen to know the mag length on the 280ai?

The black tooth is pretty nice it seemed a little smoother than my ag composites I’ll post up some pics when I get it back

Mag length in 280 ackley was 3.265 around there it isn’t really long and here’s a pic of it in the peak 44 stock front end is pretty flat also.

Attachments

• C5C35F8F-9240-4746-8122-8D84742DC83F.jpeg
    C5C35F8F-9240-4746-8122-8D84742DC83F.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 107
Mag length in 280 ackley was 3.265 around there it isn’t really long and here’s a pic of it in the peak 44 stock front end is pretty flat also.
Looks great! I’d the bottom metal still the hinged floor plate? How does it shoot and the balance feel ?

I’m considering going the same route. Can you tell me what the finished bare rifle weighed with the blacktooth? Or what the hunter polymer stock weighed?

I’m considering going the same route. Can you tell me what the finished bare rifle weighed with the blacktooth? Or what the hunter polymer stock weighed?
I've got all the weight specs on the Mk V Hunter (.308 win) right here:

Polymer stock: 28.3 oz (1 pound, 12.3 oz)
Barrel + receiver + trigger: 49.6 oz (3 pounds, 1.6 oz)
Bottom metal + action screws: 3.7 oz

I don't have the weight specs for the bolt, but based on the rifle total weight, I estimate it's 14.4 oz. Hope this helps 👍

Back