Weekend Tahr mission

JP100

WKR
Just got back last night from a great weekend Explore with my brother into the heart of Westland. Saw plenty of Bull Tahr a couple of chamois and a few deer. Great weather!
d572b78687addba70edb7fad5affd732.jpg
be00c0258831231126dc96010f6bae06.jpg
e00cc27932d6a8a34cc2bc026856a9a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
f790cca43ceff998799acd75ab7a36a9.jpg

My MSR wind burner filed us so we had to go old school. Lucky it was dry!

94dceb693fd156a64082cd1d5f0672b5.jpg
eea89d24d1d1eeea6502884bfff657e7.jpg

Couple of older Bulls.

7f1b2c69ac5e33312f24a1705f543ddc.jpg

My brother pointing to where we camped. 5 hours up. 10 from the road end. Got a bit thirsty on the walk up!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dinger

WKR
Got me keen mate...I'm ducking over the ditch for a week at the start of November chasing Tahr on the East Coast.

Good stuff.

mrgreen

WKR
Looks like a great time in a beautiful place.

What failed on the Wind Burner?

Thanks.

mrgreen

WKR
Huh! Now I'm going to have to open up mine and look at that.

Thanks. I always wondered if there might be too much plastic in there.

Bighorse

WKR
Forgive me, I'd like to know more about your seasons and limits there. I will be going to NZ and hunting a Tahr is one activity I have planned. Just so you know my skill set, I've been on dozens of mountain hunts throughout Alaska. The terrain and the challenge of vertical brushy habitat isn't new. If I may can I ask a few questions?
-What is your length of season when a non-resident alien hunter can take a Tahr?
-What are the license requirements and costs?
-What would a typical helicopter ride cost?
-When do you consider the best time to get a trophy quality Tahr?
-Do you have any photo examples of a large specimen?
-I'm used to hunting rainforest habitiat. Do you recommend any unique gear for NZ? (bug nets, crampons, axe, ect..)
-How do they taste?

Lots of questions and there's certainly no need to answer all of them. Just very serious and intend fully to get out for a 3-5day hunt while visiting.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Forgive me, I'd like to know more about your seasons and limits there. I will be going to NZ and hunting a Tahr is one activity I have planned. Just so you know my skill set, I've been on dozens of mountain hunts throughout Alaska. The terrain and the challenge of vertical brushy habitat isn't new. If I may can I ask a few questions?
-What is your length of season when a non-resident alien hunter can take a Tahr?
-What are the license requirements and costs?
-What would a typical helicopter ride cost?
-When do you consider the best time to get a trophy quality Tahr?
-Do you have any photo examples of a large specimen?
-I'm used to hunting rainforest habitiat. Do you recommend any unique gear for NZ? (bug nets, crampons, axe, ect..)
-How do they taste?

Lots of questions and there's certainly no need to answer all of them. Just very serious and intend fully to get out for a 3-5day hunt while visiting.

Hey mate will send you a message
Thanks

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Hey mate will send you a message
Thanks

Please include a PM to me with that info as well. Me and a buddy are planning on coming in April or May for Stag and Tahr. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ozyclint

WKR
for the benefit of everyone.
-What is your length of season when a non-resident alien hunter can take a Tahr? answer 365 days, furthermore there are no limits.
-What are the license requirements and costs? there are no licence costs for hunting public land. you can print out a free permit instantly online. the only licence costs would be associated with importing your gun. (i bow hunt so never have to worry about this)
-What would a typical helicopter ride cost? no idea, i always pack in.
-When do you consider the best time to get a trophy quality Tahr? IMO, may
-Do you have any photo examples of a large specimen? my avatar
-I'm used to hunting rainforest habitiat. Do you recommend any unique gear for NZ? (bug nets, crampons, axe, ect..) crampons, axe or hybrid pole like the black diamond carbon whippet. rain gear, gaiters.
-How do they taste? excellent

"Just so you know my skill set, I've been on dozens of mountain hunts throughout Alaska. The terrain and the challenge of vertical brushy habitat isn't new." is there vertical bushy terrain in AK? LOL. squash your valleys to a third of their width and that's what westland is like. nothing i've seen of sheep and goat hunts on here compares to westland tahr country, it makes sheep and goat country look like a snooker table.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
for the benefit of everyone.
-What is your length of season when a non-resident alien hunter can take a Tahr? answer 365 days, furthermore there are no limits.
-What are the license requirements and costs? there are no licence costs for hunting public land. you can print out a free permit instantly online. the only licence costs would be associated with importing your gun. (i bow hunt so never have to worry about this)
-What would a typical helicopter ride cost? no idea, i always pack in.
-When do you consider the best time to get a trophy quality Tahr? IMO, may
-Do you have any photo examples of a large specimen? my avatar
-I'm used to hunting rainforest habitiat. Do you recommend any unique gear for NZ? (bug nets, crampons, axe, ect..) crampons, axe or hybrid pole like the black diamond carbon whippet. rain gear, gaiters.
-How do they taste? excellent

"Just so you know my skill set, I've been on dozens of mountain hunts throughout Alaska. The terrain and the challenge of vertical brushy habitat isn't new." is there vertical bushy terrain in AK? LOL. squash your valleys to a third of their width and that's what westland is like. nothing i've seen of sheep and goat hunts on here compares to westland tahr country, it makes sheep and goat country look like a snooker table.

haha pretty much.
We have actual rain over here.
10 inches a day is nothing.
alder bushes are like a holiday compared to monkey scrub

when your doing 100m an hour you know its south westland haha