West TX switch lug

I was bored other day on YouTube and discovered the switch lug.
Can someone explain the process of installing one? My barrel is a small remage on an Origin, can I go ahead and install it? Or do I need to wait until I burn up this barrel and order a barrel machined for the Switch? I see C6 has it for an option now.
That's kind of a game changer. I've got a friend with a barrel vice and action wrench but that's a hassle. It'd be fun have a 22 arc barrel or maybe a 7 SAUM or 300 shorty if I ever rifle hunt elk.
Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
You need to machine the barrel for the thickness of the switchlug which is usually thicker than most recoil lugs. The switchlug is pinned to the action so that has to be done as well.

If you want one, refitting an existing barrel is a simple lathe operation to cut back the shoulder. You have to break it all apart anyway to install the lug.

Jeremy

This can give you an idea of what needs done. On this defiance holes were bored into the front of the action so this lug could be attached.

Like said above the barrel shank will have the length of the lug spun off to fit close to that switch lug and bottom out on that at correct timing.

Could be done on a currently chambered rifle. Will need some mods done to action, stock/bedding probably.

Attachments

• 20230124_123310.jpg
    20230124_123310.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230204_173218.jpg
    20230204_173218.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 56
I was bored other day on YouTube and discovered the switch lug.
Can someone explain the process of installing one? My barrel is a small remage on an Origin, can I go ahead and install it? Or do I need to wait until I burn up this barrel and order a barrel machined for the Switch? I see C6 has it for an option now.
That's kind of a game changer. I've got a friend with a barrel vice and action wrench but that's a hassle. It'd be fun have a 22 arc barrel or maybe a 7 SAUM or 300 shorty if I ever rifle hunt elk.
Thanks
I went through this recently and ended up going with the barrel vise/action wrench route. It really isn’t as much as a hassle as you might think. It certainly keeps things simple and allows you to source barrels from anyone who does a Prefit for that action.

I went through this recently and ended up going with the barrel vise/action wrench route. It really isn’t as much as a hassle as you might think. It certainly keeps things simple and allows you to source barrels from anyone who does a Prefit for that action.
I just bought barrel clamp blocks and action wrench for my s/a, I also would not do the lug again. Easy yes, but any better

sram9102

WKR
I have a Tikka with a switch lug. Being left handed it took me a while to source the two spare bolts but it works great. It took me a year or so to trust switching barrels without checking to confirm it returned to zero properly. Not something I even think about anymore. I have a 223, 22 creed, 6.5 creed, and a 6.5 prc fit to my action, with a 300 wsm I need to send off. Switching barrels is easy enough to switch back and forth during range sessions. It is extra work up front but I can switch barrels with a torque wrench in about a minute.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I have a Tikka with a switch lug. Being left handed it took me a while to source the two spare bolts but it works great. It took me a year or so to trust switching barrels without checking to confirm it returned to zero properly. Not something I even think about anymore. I have a 223, 22 creed, 6.5 creed, and a 6.5 prc fit to my action, with a 300 wsm I need to send off. Switching barrels is easy enough to switch back and forth during range sessions. It is extra work up front but I can switch barrels with a torque wrench in about a minute.

What 2 bolts

sram9102

WKR
My rifle started as a 6.5 creed. Had to source a 223 bolt and a magnum bolt.

Gorp2007

WKR
The biggest benefit I see to a WTO switchlug type system is keeping your optics mounted. I'm currently using the Viper and action wrench method, but since I don't want to accidentally spin my scope into my work bench I unmount it every time. For my fellow barrel vise aficionados, are you just clamping further down on the barrel to give your scope enough clearance from your mounting surface?

Reactions: NSI

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
I have two switchlug rifles built by WTO. Give them a call and speak with Clayton or Sloan. Cannot recommend it enough.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Ross vise. Carl Ross on snipershide. I have changed barrels at the range multiple times. If enough of you bug him he will probably do another run. 4 of us shoot in my family. 5 actions and scopes and a shitload of stocks and barrels. Way cheaper than having a separate custom rifle built and scoped for every application. No switchlug or other hard to find proprietary BS to deal with. Just buy prefit barrels and roll.

Ross vise. Carl Ross on snipershide. I have changed barrels at the range multiple times. If enough of you bug him he will probably do another run. 4 of us shoot in my family. 5 actions and scopes and a shitload of stocks and barrels. Way cheaper than having a separate custom rifle built and scoped for every application. No switchlug or other hard to find proprietary BS to deal with. Just buy prefit barrels and roll.
Do you have a picture of that? That is interestinf

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Do you have a picture of that? That is interestinf

I had to look it up too. Its cool and all. Replace my switchlug. No.
But I choose to not buy prefits and to buy barrels from a smith I know is quality that uses quality barrels.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
If I want a good barrel, I still have my smith cut it. They all screw on and off with the vice just like the rest. If I want a cheap barrel for plinking or short range hunting then I loctite the nut on a savage prefit and burn it up.

A barrel from my smith in 6 Dasher will usually shoot a 10 shot group under 5/8" at 100, some as small as 3/8" for 10 shots. A Criterion prefit is usually around an inch or a little more. One is $400, and one is a lot more.

If you want to change barrels in the field, as in take multiple barrels on a backpack hunt or something crazy, the Ross vice would be a poor way to do that. If you are going back and forth to your truck every day, it is no factor.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If I want a good barrel, I still have my smith cut it. They all screw on and off with the vice just like the rest. If I want a cheap barrel for plinking or short range hunting then I loctite the nut on a savage prefit and burn it up.

A barrel from my smith in 6 Dasher will usually shoot a 10 shot group under 5/8" at 100, some as small as 3/8" for 10 shots. A Criterion prefit is usually around an inch or a little more. One is $400, and one is a lot more.

If you want to change barrels in the field, as in take multiple barrels on a backpack hunt or something crazy, the Ross vice would be a poor way to do that. If you are going back and forth to your truck every day, it is no factor.

If your flying the WTO switchlug wins hands down.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
If your flying the WTO switchlug wins hands down.
I would agree with that. If you are flying all over the world and wanting to switch calibers mid hunt, the money means nothing. I typically pick a caliber and run it for the trip.