Western Montana Whitetail Tactics

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to western Montana this past week and will be archery hunting whitetail does for the rest of the fall (it’s one of the few tags I can get). I grew up on the east coast and am well versed with the typical tactics (I.e. set up on feeding areas, travel corridors, pinch points, etc.)

For anyone who’s hunted whitetails in the western mountains, are there anything tactics or deer behaviors that you think are different from back east?

t_carlson

WKR
I grew up hunting whitetails in the mountains of Western Montana, but I have no idea how that compares to what goes on back East.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up hunting whitetails in the mountains of Western Montana, but I have no idea how that compares to what goes on back East.

Did you hunt them from tree stands or found blinds? Or would you approach it similar to hunting mule deer? Meaning glass until you find them and then either stalk in or lay an ambush?

Did you hunt them from tree stands or found blinds? Or would you approach it similar to hunting mule deer? Meaning glass until you find them and then either stalk in or lay an ambush?
Your eastern experience and tactics will transfer over well. You’ll probably find still hunting combined with spot and stalk is going to work better in a lot of habitat. Ultimately, it depends on how you want to hunt.

Ambush style hunting in well traveled corridors in Montana frequently doesn’t require a tree stand to be effective, because the terrain allows you to set up on high ground giving you a better view.

Depending on where you’re at in western MT, you might want to pull out the tree stand for stacking up some riverbottom whitetail does. I could see using a ground blind or tree stand to hunt over certain flat, low-lying meadows in the evening, if you have one available to use.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Your eastern experience and tactics will transfer over well. You’ll probably find still hunting combined with spot and stalk is going to work better in a lot of habitat. Ultimately, it depends on how you want to hunt.

Ambush style hunting in well traveled corridors in Montana frequently doesn’t require a tree stand to be effective, because the terrain allows you to set up on high ground giving you a better view.

Depending on where you’re at in western MT, you might want to pull out the tree stand for stacking up some riverbottom whitetail does. I could see using a ground blind or tree stand to hunt over certain flat, low-lying meadows in the evening, if you have one available to use.

Thanks this is helpful! The valley I’m living in is most private land except for a few smaller pieces of public that get heavy pressure. I’d like to hunt the foothills and mountains of the national forest just because it’ll be different than how I’m used to hunting whitetails.

It sounds like I should scout/hunt by glassing and hiking until find some good sign. Then it might be worth coming back with a treestand.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're gonna be in the river bottoms mainly.
The valley I’m living in is almost completely private. I’ve thought about knocking on doors but I think I may be too late in the year for that to be effective.

If your gonna hunt em in the mountains look in the saddles and any old closed logging roads. You may be able to stand hunt them some before it gets to cold and snowy. I'd say your best bet is to cover ground find areas with heavy sign and still hunt it slowly. Pay special attention to the transition zones between elevation changes and the changes in brushy area to heavy pine.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
If your gonna hunt em in the mountains look in the saddles and any old closed logging roads. You may be able to stand hunt them some before it gets to cold and snowy. I'd say your best bet is to cover ground find areas with heavy sign and still hunt it slowly. Pay special attention to the transition zones between elevation changes and the changes in brushy area to heavy pine.
Thanks! This is incredibly helpful. The only elevation changes are something I’ve never had to consider before.

They're still creatures of edge habitat. I suspect you're in the bitterroot valley, based on your description. Whitetail in western MT will range as high as 7-8k' in elevation, so don't be afraid to go climbing the mountains. But treat them the same in terms of habits. They like edges/transitions between habitat types. Benches are a new thing for you to focus on in mountainous terrain though.

t_carlson

WKR

For actual "mountain deer" (what I would define as deer that never set foot in a farmed field), you will find they are pretty spread out on the NF/State lands.

Also, once deer get out of the neighborhoods and 10-acre "ranches" the predators are pretty populous. They have to dodge a lot of lions and wolves to get very old. For example, NW MT is the only place I've seen mule deer does IMMEDIATELY run at the sight of a human. Spooky, spooky animals.

That is my long-winded way of saying September and October are going to be tough months for a bow hunter in the mountains.

I hunted the rut, never with a bow, but a rifle instead. I don't think that would change my tactics too much, though. Start by walking gated logging roads and looking for sign. FRESH clear-cuts are $$$ because they like to eat fresh pine branches out of the slash piles. Just like with any whitetail, there are certain places they habitually cross. My uncle used to shoot a buck almost every year with his rifle by sitting and watching a particular bend on a gated logging road.

Tree stand or ground blind is your preference. The toughest part will be the low population densities. (Its difficult to know if you're doing it "right" when there's hardly enough deer around to give you any feedback on your tactics. You'll start second-guessing yourself and want to move spots.)

Rattling does work when the rut rolls around, IME.

Best of luck.

He also didn't ask where to go or for a hand out just some friendly advice. I'm from here and though I'm not a fan of tons of pressure doesn't mean we can't be friendly. Not gonna lie I wasn't raised to be rude and unwelcoming.

The reason we are all on this sight is communication and to help each other out it's a community of sportsmen.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Usually "I just moved to Montana" is not a way to start a conversation with residents
Well it’s either state the truth, or lie and look dumb when they figure it out pretty quickly.

I hear what you are saying though. I’ve moved a few times and know there’s people who won’t like me just cause I wasn’t born somewhere. That said everyone in Montana has been incredibly welcoming. It may be cause I moved from Utah though.

Last edited:
OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
For actual "mountain deer" (what I would define as deer that never set foot in a farmed field), you will find they are pretty spread out on the NF/State lands.

Also, once deer get out of the neighborhoods and 10-acre "ranches" the predators are pretty populous. They have to dodge a lot of lions and wolves to get very old. For example, NW MT is the only place I've seen mule deer does IMMEDIATELY run at the sight of a human. Spooky, spooky animals.

That is my long-winded way of saying September and October are going to be tough months for a bow hunter in the mountains.

I hunted the rut, never with a bow, but a rifle instead. I don't think that would change my tactics too much, though. Start by walking gated logging roads and looking for sign. FRESH clear-cuts are $$$ because they like to eat fresh pine branches out of the slash piles. Just like with any whitetail, there are certain places they habitually cross. My uncle used to shoot a buck almost every year with his rifle by sitting and watching a particular bend on a gated logging road.

Tree stand or ground blind is your preference. The toughest part will be the low population densities. (Its difficult to know if you're doing it "right" when there's hardly enough deer around to give you any feedback on your tactics. You'll start second-guessing yourself and want to move spots.)

Rattling does work when the rut rolls around, IME.

Best of luck.
Thanks I’m going to target some true mountain areas and some that are adjacent to the valley. This will help me do better than just throwing a dart on the map.

Whether I kill something or not, it’s a lot better than sitting at home waiting for next year.

Axlrod

WKR
Thanks I’m going to target some true mountain areas and some that are adjacent to the valley. This will help me do better than just throwing a dart on the map.

Whether I kill something or not, it’s a lot better than sitting at home waiting for next year.
Great attitude! I hunt first for the opportunity to be in the woods. And you aren't going to get a deer sitting at home. I would definitely knock on some doors. Tell them you are hunting does only.
If they tell you they have plenty of hunters this year, ask if you can hunt next year. Also look into block management land around your area.

I hunt Western MT whitetails on private agricultural land from tree stands- well platforms really. Never hunted them in the East, but it's probably pretty close to the same.

There are quite a few whitetails on public/block Mgmnt. where I elk hunt. I think you could pattern them and set up a stand to ambush them. Good luck!